No announcement yet.

Anybody NOT prefer treble bleed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It varies guitar to pickup combination individually.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Hank- View Post

The original idea was from our own Frank Fablo decade ago or so posted on jemsite I think, google showed it somewhere on ashbass mods.
      Found it, quote from Ashbass

”In the diagram, the yellow wire is the input to the pot and the red wire is the output from the pot. In Frank's example an Ibanez type guitar is used and the input is coming from the switch--the pickup hot goes to the switch first and then the switch to the pot. On a les paul the pickup hot goes first to the pot and then the pot output goes to the switch. In both, the middle lug of the pot is the output lug and that is the one used for the mod. As I understand the classic treble bleed, for this mod using resistor with the capacitor is not needed. The resistor was used in the typical treble bleed to even out the pot's taper. With the falbo mod a resistor in series with the cap will not do anything for pot taper.

The mod works on the output of the volume pot as fed by a tone pot. Note: "a" tone pot. If you try to use two tone pots connecting to the same volume pot, at any time both tone pots will be live and affect the vol pot together. This is probably not what you want to do“.

-Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
      “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Originally posted by quadquadquadquad View Post
        On the second pot, is everything grounded to the case?
        No, its an old drawing. Here's a better one using a resistor+cap in series treble bleed setup,
        Click image for larger version

Name:	taper_tb_wiring-jpg.22926.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	6131524

Comment

I finally tried treble bleeds several years ago. The Kinman seems to be the best for me, as it doesn't get overly bright as the volume is rolled down, and it doesn't mess up the sweep. Now it's mandatory on my guitars. I never liked the tone getter darker as I turned the volume down. I want to maintain my tone, just not as loud.

Comment

So I think I've been confusing treble bleed with 50s wiring. Both keep treble as you turn the volume down, but treble bleed is more extreme, is this correct?

Does anyone know if this wiring is treble bleed, 50s, or neither? https://d159anurvk4929.cloudfront.ne...schematics.pdf
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
            http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post
              So I think I've been confusing treble bleed with 50s wiring. Both keep treble as you turn the volume down, but treble bleed is more extreme, is this correct?

Does anyone know if this wiring is treble bleed, 50s, or neither? https://d159anurvk4929.cloudfront.ne...schematics.pdf
              Treble bleeds can sound extreme if the values are not suited for the system. A single 2nF cap across the volume pot will give extreme treble when the volume is rolled down but lower that cap value down to 180pF and the change will be much subtle in comparison.

The PRS schematic in the link is modern wiring with a simple treble bleed cap across the volume pot.

If the tone control is connected to the center lug of the volume pot, you have 50s wiring. If the tone control is connected to left lug of the volume pot(the right lug is grounded to the pot casing), you get modern wiring. How the cap on the tone pot is wired doesn't matter.

Comment

Working...
              X