Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody NOT prefer treble bleed?

Let's discuss.

I've always had treble bleed in my guitars. Whether it was factory wiring or luthier work, I just took it for granted that my highs would stay as I rolled the volume down.

Got my SG back from a re-wire (to remove the PCB) and there's no treble bleed. I'm trying to take the opportunity to play with it as is... definitely different, though, having volume and high end linked together like this.

Who uses a non treble bleed setup? What do you like it for?
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
    http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

I'm a die hard treble bleeder myself

I actually use a rather weak resistor in my treble bleed circuits so that the tone brightens a little as I roll it off, because I'm usually trying to clean up a dirty sound when i'm playing with my knob (eewwwww)
    Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
    Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
    Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
    Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
    Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
    Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
    Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
    Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
    Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
    PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Comment

I've only had them in a couple guitars. It's a patch to solve a problem. Not every guitar has that problem.

I've had one where it didn't sound right at all. Basically, instead of preserving treble while rolling the volume down smoothly, it just removed bass for the whole travel of the volume knob and then suddenly rolled the volume down and shut off in the last couple numbers on the dial.

There are some guitars where I actually found it useful having it darken a touch by rolling the volume down, for certain kinds of music with certain kinds of amps. Gives me rhythm tone and lead tone with barely an 1/8 of a turn on the volume.
      Last edited by beaubrummels; 11-22-2021, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Not for me. I dig the darker sound.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I have treble bleeds in both my Gibson LP Custom and Classic. I have to admit..I can't tell much difference and I often use my neck pickup for clean tones dialed down to about 1 or 2. My Epiphone LP Modern has it built in and does seem to make a difference. Also, I just purchased a Toneman Guitars wiring harness for my SG Deluxe. He doesn't use them in any harness he makes. He wires everything 50's style which has been said doesn't need a treble bleed but that is subjective.

Comment

I don't care for it. Tried it multiple times with may different values. There was one set of values (cap and resistor) that worked great with a set of DiMarzios. That was about it.

Comment

Interesting takes, thanks!

I'm just so used to volume knob doing volume and tone knob doing high end. One knob, one function. It's a mind**** to have volume do two functions. But I can see the wisdom in the rhythm/lead back and forth. Maybe I need to dial in more treble to the amp to have on tap... I just find myself wanting more high end but the tone knob only reduces highs.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
              http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

i dont usually like em, though you can dial them in if you take the time to do so. even then, i usually prefer it without

Comment

I love the fact the volume gets slightly darker as you turn it down. To me, that is a bonus!
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I like it on my PRS, but don’t like it on a Strat.
                    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Treble bleed sound hideous to me - as in artificial.

I have many guitars, so wasting a lot of time trying to tune a lot of guitars with a more complicated system is wholly unappealing.
                      Also, I tend to set up my tone with the neck pickup, meaning you are always removing treble from the bridge slot. In that scenario you simply don't need to worry about an overly dark tone when rolling the bridge down.
                      So the 50's wiring works well. I'm mostly vintage strength and vintage control type setup too.

Comment

I don't have a preference that applies globally; for me it varies by guitar type.

Love 'em in my PRSs. Back in the 80s, my first PRS was also my first experience with a treble bleed.
                        I was blown away by the sparkly clarity of its cleanup. At the time I thought it was due simply to the pickups.

Don't generally see any need for them in Strats or Teles, though my HSH and HSS guitars mostly do have 'em.

With Gibsons, I'm long accustomed the rolloff when dialing back. It feels natural, simply the way they should behave.
                        Still, a number of my Les Pauls use 50s wiring so the treble loss is far less pronounced.
                        In certain cases I have used a bleed cap or 1MΩ pot on the neck humbucker in a dark sounding guitar.
                        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I prefer my volume to roll off a little high end when I bump it down. I like it better than using the tone knob.

Comment

None here
                            -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                            “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

It's pretty essential for me. That or 50s wiring.

Comment

Working...
                              X