No announcement yet.

Anybody NOT prefer treble bleed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't like treble bleeds when using a fuzzface and doing the volume knob clean up thing. Most other situations I prefer them though.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

50s wiring>treble bleed

Comment

Originally posted by BluesIsBlood12 View Post
        It's pretty essential for me. That or 50s wiring.
        Yeah, I don't dig either.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I've never tried it. I rarely roll back the volume anyway. Hell I could probably do without a volume control.
          "It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Comment

I’m not a fan.
            I have my LP set up for 50’s wiring on the neck pickup and modern on the bridge.

This way the neck pickup stays clear when I need to roll it down and the bridge darkens a little. Perfect for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
              I’m not a fan.
              I have my LP set up for 50’s wiring on the neck pickup and modern on the bridge.

This way the neck pickup stays clear when I need to roll it down and the bridge darkens a little. Perfect for me.
              I would've never thought of this... Cool idea!

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                Not for me. I dig the darker sound.
                Same here with most guitars. However with a fat guitar a treble bleed can be really cool.My Carvin DC 600 for example with the C 22B and J set up really works with the treble bleed. My DC 127 with the PB Jazz on the other hand was a disaster with it. Depends on the set up. Most of the time I want a guitar to get darker as I roll off the volume but not always. I have guitars set up both ways.
                Guitars
                Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	wiringHighPassFalbo.gif
Views:	183
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	6130784

This setup of treble bleed is the one I like, lets the amount of treble effect to be controlled by the tone knob.

​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post
                    Let's discuss.

I've always had treble bleed in my guitars. Whether it was factory wiring or luthier work, I just took it for granted that my highs would stay as I rolled the volume down.

Got my SG back from a re-wire (to remove the PCB) and there's no treble bleed. I'm trying to take the opportunity to play with it as is... definitely different, though, having volume and high end linked together like this.

Who uses a non treble bleed setup? What do you like it for?
                    I have tried treble bleeds several times over the years. They have yet to make it to the end of the day without getting ripped out. Do they keep treble as you roll down? Yes. Do they completely screw up the sound when full up? YES. It makes the sound very, very harsh. I use the 50's wiring on most things. Strats, LP's, Tele's, it doesn't matter. It works in all of them

Comment

I tried them a couple times on a couple guitars and never liked it. Then I had a epiphany and put one on the NECK volume on my main guitar. I like it there, a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	wiringHighPassFalbo.gif
Views:	183
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	6130784

This setup of treble bleed is the one I like, lets the amount of treble effect to be controlled by the tone knob.

​​​​
                        Where is this pulled from?
                        -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                        “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          I love the fact the volume gets slightly darker as you turn it down. To me, that is a bonus!
                          O wanton one, is a guitar ever dark enough for you?
                          Last edited by Sirion; 11-25-2021, 12:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post

Where is this pulled from?
                            The original idea was from our own Frank Fablo decade ago or so posted on jemsite I think, google showed it somewhere on ashbass mods. Theres a giant thread with regards to it on lespaul forum but I have not seen much talk about it on our duncan forums.

Its actually very good because it allows to darken the sound with the treble bleed which otherwise isnt possible normally, as in a proper modern wiring that can sound darker or brighter with the volume rolled down using the tone control.

Comment

On the second pot, is everything grounded to the case?

Comment

I really like treble bleeds. Whatever ibanez uses on their HH guitars is perfect for me.

Ten is full on as normal.
                                Down to 5/6 it gets warmer.
                                below 5 it starts getting brighter.

Its a bit funky when playing clean, but it's when i use it with high gain pedals that it shows it's worth.

My craziest is in my tele. Harmonic design vintage plus into 500k pots/.022cap.

Below 9, it starts getting bright. By 5 it is super bright and thin. This is a cool feature because i can "fine tune" the thickness of the tone.
                                Even better is that no matter how low i drop the volume, and no matter how thin and bright it gets, i can get back to a normal sound by working the tone control.

I am so used to playing with bleeds, that the dull sound a non bleed equipped guitar has is unusable to me. Excess treble can be cut with the tone knob, but once the treble is gone (no bleed) you can't spin a knob to get it back

Comment

Working...
                                X