Thoughts on JB/Jazz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Isn't that strange? It is probably the worst for Jazz, and the EQ is the exact opposite of traditional Jazz tone.
    It is. Terrible branding IMHO.

In the jazz forum folks try it and think SD doesn’t know what it’s doing. Then we redirect them to the Seth Lover and it’s all good. But I’m sure many don’t give SD a second choice. And i would guess that the rock folks that could love it don’t want to install a “jazz” pickup. Good thing it comes preinstalled.

It may be too late for removing the name completely (it could just be “J”) but at least they could not make it worse:

Comment

I've got a JB jazz setup but like ascension said sometimes you win sometimes you lose with the JB. In this guitar it sounds full of mids and mushy, the jazz in the neck is a bit too shrill and I wish I could get a fatter sweeter sound out of it.

Comment

Put an A2 in that Jazz.

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post

It is. Terrible branding IMHO.

In the jazz forum folks try it and think SD doesn’t know what it’s doing. Then we redirect them to the Seth Lover and it’s all good. But I’m sure many don’t give SD a second choice. And i would guess that the rock folks that could love it don’t want to install a “jazz” pickup. Good thing it comes preinstalled.

It may be too late for removing the name completely (it could just be “J”) but at least they could not make it worse:
          https://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/l...seymour-duncan
          The fact that there are more suitable pickups for playing jazz doesn't mean the Jazz is somehow not suitable for jazz at all and 100% a rock pickup. Give me a break. It's still more of a jazz pickup than a rock pickup. All you need to play jazz is a bit of bass, and the amount of mid and top is a matter of the player's taste. Plus how do you say a super slick sound is by definition only justifiable in rock? Makes absolutely no sense.
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            The Jazz works for me in a mid-heavy guitar. Outside of that, it is too trebly, without any mids. I can see how people use it with lots of distortion, but I don't think it does clean chords too well unless you are trying to get them through a dense mix.
            Interesting that you don't think the Jazz doesn't do clean chords well. I think it's one its better strengths.
            Last edited by TVFV; 11-24-2021, 07:35 PM.
            "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
              Put an A2 in that Jazz.
              Where do I get them?

Comment

Amazon, Philadelphia Luthier, Ebay to name a few. The ones I bought on Amazon actually came from Phila Luthier
                1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
                Jackson Soloist 7 string
                ESP LTD M-400
                Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post

Where do I get them?
                  Hsb beat me to it. Super easy mod and you can get a mag for only a few bucks.
                  I’d recommend a rough cast A2.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post

The fact that there are more suitable pickups for playing jazz doesn't mean the Jazz is somehow not suitable for jazz at all and 100% a rock pickup. Give me a break. It's still more of a jazz pickup than a rock pickup. All you need to play jazz is a bit of bass, and the amount of mid and top is a matter of the player's taste. Plus how do you say a super slick sound is by definition only justifiable in rock? Makes absolutely no sense.
                    I’m not giving you a break, Clint. This is the most important issue on the internet right now and it needs to be clear. Fo’ real.

The stereotypical jazz sound is mids heavy, not bass heavy and this is a scooped, bright pickup, so if you were to recommend a SD pickup for jazz and name a pickup after the genre, you would not choose a scooped pickup having things like the Seth Lover or A2Pro available.

So can you play whatever you want with any pickup, sure. You can play jazz with whatever you want. And I played fusion live with a SD Jazz in the neck for ten years on a maple guitar.

But endorsing the Jazz as a jazz pickup is a bad idea IMHO. That said, I don’t really care that much.

Comment

There are guidelines about getting jazz tone, but I'm not aware of any law where it has to be middy like the Seth. I could come up with endless examples of players' tone that could easily be a Jazz with the tone rolled back. The Benedetto has the exact scooped footprint like the Jazz and it has an A5 magnet. The idea that the 'Jazz' pickup can never be used for jazz is pure nonsense!
                      Last edited by Clint 55; 11-24-2021, 03:45 PM.
                      The things that you wanted
                      I bought them for you

Comment

Neither of those pickups are my bag, but I'm glad they're working out for you.
                        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                          There are guidelines about getting jazz tone, but I'm not aware of any law where it has to be middy like the Seth. I could come up with endless examples of players' tone that could easily be a Jazz with the tone rolled back. The Benedetto has the exact scooped footprint like the Jazz and it has an A5 magnet. The idea that the 'Jazz' pickup can never be used for jazz is pure nonsense!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
                            The stereotypical jazz sound is mids heavy, not bass heavy and this is a scooped, bright pickup
                            I have a Jazz in my alder body, ebony board, Floyd Rose MIM Jackson Dinky shred stick and I find it anything but scooped, it's definitely pushing more mids than I perhaps wished it did in this guitar and it's not extremely bright. But it does feel scooped in the mahogany LTD, so I totally get where you're coming from. Depends on the guitar it's installed in I guess.

Comment

I saw they resent it today. I’m commenting. Lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X