Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archer250
    replied
    I love the Jazz. One of my favorite neck humbuckers.

Do note though that most of my other favorite neck pickups are single coils

Leave a comment:

• alex1fly
    replied
    Lol

Leave a comment:

• Clint 55
    replied
    Well my point is that bass is essential to a jazz electric guitar tone if you include lower mids up to 500. So maybe we agree if we agree on the definition of bass or mids. However, actual mids which make the sound gritty, between 1 and 4k, I don't think are essential to a jazz tone. If you cut everything below 500 hertz and leave the regular mids, it will sound terrible, while if you cut 1k+ and leave everything below that you have Pat Martino tone.. However, the Jazz isn't scooped in the lower mids above 250 hertz. Bass - meaning all the frequencies that sound bassy are what make a jazz tone, and the amount of mids and highs are to taste. Chirpy chirp isn't the definition of everything.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 11-30-2021, 01:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Clint 55
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Blille
    replied
    Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
    What would you define the cut off as in hertz for this application between bass and mids?
    I’m gonna go with 250 hz. Did I win something?

Leave a comment:

• Clint 55
    replied
    What would you define the cut off as in hertz for this application between bass and mids?

Leave a comment:

• Clint 55
    replied
    You are out-of-control.

Leave a comment:

• Blille
    replied
    It is false foo. "THE JAZZ DOESN'T WORK FOR JAZZ" is a false generalization. It's ur opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Leave a comment:

• Clint 55
    replied
    It is false foo. "THE JAZZ DOESN'T WORK FOR JAZZ" is a false generalization. It's ur opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Blille
    replied
    It's a suitable bassy pickup for jazz.
    So, the key to traditional jazz tone (think Blue Note RVG) isn’t being bassy, is being mid-dy. And the characteristic of the jazz is its brightness (aka as articulation earlier in the thread).

Leave a comment:

• Blille
    replied
    This is false.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Leave a comment:

• alex1fly
    replied
    I see no issue playing the same kind of jazz I've been playing for years on this Jazz neck. But then, the guitar it's in is low and mid-heavy so maybe that fills out the sound more than it would on a brighter guitar. Doesn't have the chirp that the Seth and 57 Classic had in this guitar, but the chirp isn't really what makes a jazz guitar tone to me unless you're strictly trying to emulate a particular mid-century sound. Modern pros aren't sticking solely to PAFs for jazz guitar tone anymore.
    Last edited by alex1fly; 11-29-2021, 04:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Clint 55
    replied
    It's a suitable bassy pickup for jazz. It just is scooped and doesn't have the authenticity of the Seth or Ant. Has a top to it that needs to be run off. 250k pots over 500k for sure. (I prefer a 100k volume.)

Have you tried the Benedettos? I got a Benedetto PAF which is built for jazz and that pup is basically a Jazz. It's scooped and has an A5 only they made it tighter.

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied

This is true. I would pick the 59, A2P, Seth, Ant, or Phat Cat before the Jazz. However the Jazz will work just fine if you like the scooped and glossy sound. The Jazz was my first Duncan and I liked playing lots of jazz on it.

​​​​

This is false.
    It depends on the other choices. I *could* use it for jazz, but the lack of mids and bass cripple the sound from the outset.

Leave a comment:

• Clint 55
    replied
    Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    It isn't that it can't be used for Jazz, there are just better choices. The Antiquity is a much better pickup for jazz than the Jazz.
    This is true. I would pick the 59, A2P, Seth, Ant, or Phat Cat before the Jazz. However the Jazz will work just fine if you like the scooped and glossy sound. The Jazz was my first Duncan and I liked playing lots of jazz on it.

Originally posted by Blille View Post
    Jazz doesn’t work for jazz.
    ​​​​
    Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    It is probably the worst for Jazz.
    This is false.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X