The Nazgūl. Holy Hell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Nazgūl. Holy Hell

I've been researching and listening to sound clips and trying to decide what pup to put in this LP. I already put a DD in my other LP, so I wanted to try something different. The black winter, the alt 8 we're almost ordered because I love them as well. Decided to try something totally new to me. So I ordered a Nazgūl.
    Just wired it into my maple neck Les Paul.
    wow. Just wow. This thing has the BrOOtZ!
    Going to spend some time with it before making final judgement, but my first impression is just "Hell Ya!"

https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Here's the wiring (not coil tapped) using the Gibson quick connect adapters from eBay. For future reference.

Comment

Welcome to the Nazgūl Fan Club! Now go get a Sentinel too

Comment

Good times await!
        The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Sounds like a lot of fun. Now, sorry if coming across as hijacking the thread, but looking to grab another bridge mean & brutal pickup and I have this dilemma: Nazgul or PATB2? Why should I choose one or the other?

Comment

The Nazgul does one thing very well, and it is perfect if you like that one thing.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Brootz mofo.
              The things that you wanted
              I bought them for you

Comment

The Nazgul is aggressive and uniquely voiced. If it works for your rig and your style of playing, it's probably a hard one to beat.

AdrianSD: The PATB-2 is a very aggressive and high output beast, but it's less picky about the guitar it's in than the Nazgul. What are you looking for out of your bridge pickup?

Comment

Adding to what Masta' C said, the Naz isn't actually that high output, the voicing makes it sound like it's packing way more heat than it actually does.

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                    The Nazgul is aggressive and uniquely voiced. If it works for your rig and your style of playing, it's probably a hard one to beat.

AdrianSD: The PATB-2 is a very aggressive and high output beast, but it's less picky about the guitar it's in than the Nazgul. What are you looking for out of your bridge pickup?
                    Loads of harmonics, I'd like it to bark and scream, but without slicing through my brain with too much high end. For leads I like a round, friendly sound, perhaps low mid focused(?) I love the Black Winter, Custom8 and JB8, looking at something else in the ballpark with more low mids but without turning everything to mud under gain. It doesn't have to be extremely precise, if it's a bit chewy & squishy, like a sedated rat chewing on the wound strings, it's great
                    Last edited by AdrianSD; 11-24-2021, 07:47 PM.

Comment

^^^^Well what about the Alt-8 since you like that mag with other winds.

Comment

Well tonight I finally got around to spending some quality time just focused on this pickup.... Adjusting pole pieces, tweaking the amp, adjusting little bits here and there. I've learned a lot more about it.
                        played along in a mix, played it solo... Quality time.

I've decided it has some great tonal qualities in this specific LP tuned and strung Drop B.

It has a unique voice for sure.
                        I love the big chords and heavy palm muted chugs, the tones are immense with that.

But playing with pick squeals, scrapes, big bends, and fast thrash picking, it's lacks a little smoothness maybe?. I tend to compare everything to the SH6 since it's my all time favorite pup.

I think for a rhythm guitar this Nazgūl is nearly perfect. The useable in your face tones through this Marshall and the T-75/V30 cab is a little differently nasal? than I generally like, but actually sounds really good too.

I'm torn. I like the SH6 sounds much better in my other LP and pretty much every other guitar I've ever stuck one in. Also have much love for the BW and Alt8 as well. Often have big love for the invader as well, but I have only heard mud with that pickup in an LP.

The original pickups in this were super bright and a touch brittle... Not enough gain for sure.

I have a feeling this guitar will eventually belong to my other guitarist... He absolutely loves it, and it would be perfect for his sound in our mix.
                        It will work well for me just recording it as the second guitar for now.

Bottom line is, I love the tone, but not so much the Dynamics of it in this guitar.... Will I replace the pickup? Will I sell the guitar off? Will I trade it for a jcm900? We shall see.

Here's a sound clip if you're so interested. The phone mic isn't good, but it gives a decent representation of the flavor.

Last edited by 80's_Thrash_Metal; 12-20-2021, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Sounds darned good to me, although I can see how maybe it's a bit tame in this context if compared to the DD or BW, or especially the Invader.
                          Where I think it really shines is when using copious gain levels (boosted hi-gain amps), where many pickups would make for some mush and fizz.
                          It's also great for basswood guitars and those who tune low with very light string-tension through boosted amps.

LP with a maple top and ebony board? My hunch is DD or Invader would match better.
                          IMO tension is really a bigger factor than tuning, but loose and low together can definitely spell Nazgul.
                          The Dimebucker is sort-of in the same camp for me, in that it thrives in guitars that naturally are a bit loose in the lows with warmer non-crisp treble. (buttery lol)

Comment

Maple top and neck, rosewood board.

Comment

Still think it's cool you kept the TSL over the DSL. Many people these days automatically dismiss that amp due to forum bs.

Last edited by dave74; 12-19-2021, 03:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X