Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bridge pup for fernandez monterey

Hi Folks,

I recently swapped out a stock bridge pickup on a Peavey Wolfgang for a Custom 5 (first swap I've done) and am really, really happy with the new sound. It got me thinking about breathing some life into a guitar I've "retired" -- 2001/2002 Fernandez Monterey Elite (looks like a les paul)

The Monterey has a sustainer system and came with a JB. I've loved using the sustainer but no matter how I've tried to tweak my settings I've just never been satisfied with the bridge pickup on it's own. The JB, at once, sounds shrill and muddy to my ears.

I'd be very happy to duplicate the Custom 5 sound but I'm unsure if it will play nice with the Sustainer system (somewhere I remember reading that the system requires a high output pickup to work well but I simply don't know enough to have that guide my choice).

The questions:
    1. Any issues dropping the Custom 5 into my guitar? If there are issues could you help a newbie understand what they are?
    2. If the Custom 5 won't do the job, what should I look to and why?
    3. Any "whammies" I should be wary of?

Thanks!

welcome to the forum!

id think you should be fine with another c5. if you like it in the wolfgang, it will sound a little different but still have similar properties.

Comment

Hey Folks,

Thanks for fixing the thread title. For some reason I'm unable to edit the post.

And thanks for the welcome Jeremy.

Just a clarification, I want to replace the bridge pickup. The neck pickup is the Sustainer system. My basic understanding is that when the Sustainer is activated the neck pickup emits the space-magic-voodoo and the JB picks it up.

Comment

The Custom 5 should work fine. It's EQ is different than the JB's upper mids...the C5 has hardly any mids at all. Tight bass and some cut in the high end...like a PAF, but...more.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I'm not a huge fan of the Custom 5, but it's a pretty safe bet in a Les Paul style guitar. If you get it, you can always swap some magnets around to tweak it, as well. Ceramic magnet makes it a Custom and Alnico Ii makes it into a Custom Custom. Personally, I really like the Custom in a Les Paul for heavier rock.
          Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Thank you all! Appreciate the help. This is going to be a fun rabbit hole to explore!

Comment

Working...
            X