Any idea which SD pickup this is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any idea which SD pickup this is?

A number of years ago, I wanted a brighter-sounding pickup for my '59 Gibson archtop, and a tech installed this SD 2BJ type. But it was never as bright-sounding as I wanted. I now suspect he screwed up, because the 2BJ is apparently intended as a bridge pickup, and this guitar has only a single pickup, at the neck position.

But they also say that single-coil pickups have a brighter tone, and I do think it's probably single-coil. I can't tell for sure, as I cannot figure out exactly what it is. I'd really appreciate some help figuring this out. Here are a few pics.

​​​​​​​Any idea what this pickup is?

What is it's resistance reading?

Comment

I have received info that this is a "Hot P90" made pre-2002. Apparently those are not humbuckers. But it's intended as a bridge pickup. I'm really not interested a "bridgey" sound, or Tele twang. I want clean, clean, clean, good for acoustic tone and finger picking. It's an arch-top hollow body, and I want it to sound like one.
      Last edited by wallewek; 11-24-2021, 05:05 PM. Reason: Updated info.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
        What is it's resistance reading?
        14,820 ohms, measured out of circuit with a DVM.

Comment

That's pretty dang hot for the sound you want.

Look into the Vintage P90 or the Antiquity P90. Another option is to look at Bootstrap pickups. He winds his P90 pickups with alnico rod pole pieces, which tend to give a brighter, snappier tone.
          Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

You'll probably be looking at his Squeaky Clean P90.

Comment

A hot P90 in the neck of full hollow body wouldn't be my first choice. In the bridge of a solid body DC would be a better place for it.

Comment

Those sound like good ideas. I'm not a "shredder", not looking to rip it up with a heavy electric tone. And believe me, I could do it -- I build my own amps.

No metal, no distortion, no tele twank, no jazz mush. I want bright, clear, clean sound, good for roots, bluegrass, folk, and finger picking. I want to hear everything that comes off the strings, not muck it up.

Hmm, got some searching to do. I appreciate those suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by wallewek View Post
                  Those sound like good ideas. I'm not a "shredder", not looking to rip it up with a heavy electric tone. And believe me, I could do it -- I build my own amps.

No metal, no distortion, no tele twank, no jazz mush. I want bright, clear, clean sound, good for roots, bluegrass, folk, and finger picking. I want to hear everything that comes off the strings, not muck it up.

Hmm, got some searching to do. I appreciate those suggestions.
                  Check out zhangbucker pickups, as well. He builds stuff for clarity, more than output. I have a set of his pickups in a thinline tele and they are VERY woody and clean.

Comment

Bridge - 8.3k A2; Neck 6.6k Narrow A2 or A3

Comment

It is not the pickup. It's the position in the guitar. Neck pickup sounds dull and warm no matter what. If you want bright, clear sound, move it to the bridge position.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
                        It is not the pickup. It's the position in the guitar. Neck pickup sounds dull and warm no matter what. If you want bright, clear sound, move it to the bridge position.
                        Thanks, I know neck position is more neutral or flat-sounding, as compared to the twanginess of bridge pickups. But that's fine. I want higher frequency openness and clarity of tone, not loud twanky midrange. And anyway, this is a vintage '59 Gibson archtop that was made with only a neck pickup, and there's no way in hell I'm going to damage it to put in a bridge pickup now.

The zhangbucker site is interesting. I noticed a mention of "humbuckers, particularly vintage output models intended for the bridge position, is a midrange scoop that exaggerates the treble". I don't know, even though the writer calls it an icepick in the ear, it might be exactly that I want for a neck pickup.

The Bootstrap P90 Squeaky Clean, though... hmm. Sounds interesting.
                        Last edited by wallewek; 11-28-2021, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Thanks, I know bridge position is more neutral or flat-sounding, as compared to the twanginess of bridge pickups. But that's fine. I want higher frequency openness and clarity of tone, not loud twanky midrange. And anyway, this is a vintage '59 Gibson archtop that was made with only a neck pickup, and there's no way in hell I'm going to damage it to put in a bridge pickup now.

The zhangbucker site is interesting. I noticed a mention of "humbuckers, particularly vintage output models intended for the bridge position, is a midrange scoop that exaggerates the treble". I don't know, even though the writer calls it an icepick in the ear, it might be exactly that I want for a neck pickup.

The Bootstrap P90 Squeaky Clean, though... hmm. Sounds interesting.
                          Dave at Zhangbucker has great ears and makes great pickups. I'd maybe talk to him about what you want and what he can do for you. The Bootstraps are pretty danged nice as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post

Dave at Zhangbucker has great ears and makes great pickups. I'd maybe talk to him about what you want and what he can do for you. The Bootstraps are pretty danged nice as well.
                            Pardon, I meant to say NECK position is more neutral than bridge -- pretty sure you knew that. Anyway, I have send an inquiry to Zhangbucker, so now I'm hopeful.

Comment

Pardon, I meant to say NECK position is more neutral than bridge -- pretty sure you knew that. Anyway, I have send an inquiry to Zhangbucker, so now I'm hopeful.
                              I've reached out to Zhangbucker (as stated above) and received zero response, from either the initial web form query or email follow-up a week later. I'm very disappointed, and now questioning whether they are even someone I would want to do business with. Not impressed at all.

Can anyone here comment on whether that is typical for them?

Comment

Working...
                              X