banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

P90-sized bridge humbucker for a baritone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P90-sized bridge humbucker for a baritone?

I have a Squire baritone tele with two p90s that I like a lot. I put a pair of Vineham pickups "Blues dogs" (moderate output, A4 p90s) in it and they sound great, particularly the neck pickup, but I'd kind of like a little more "humbucker oomph" (as well as less hum) out of the bridge pickup, which I mainly use for heavier tones.

What p90-sized humbucker would you recommend for the bridge? I'd also prefer not to spend a ton if it isn't necessary. I want something fairly tight/not muddy sounding and moderate output.

I see Dimarzio makes the Virtual P90 and Dlx Plus (which I worry would be too hot/muddy). I see other brands like The Creamery, Rio Grande, and the SD Custom Shop make p90-sized buckers, but I'd like to keep the price under $150

I think Dimarzio makes some of their humbuckers in a P90 footprint. The Super Distortion is one I'm sure I've seen.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I'm thinking I might pony up and order a SD Custom Shop P90-bucker. I'm not sure which model to ask for though; they have a "hot" (JB-ish), "vintage"(PearlyGates-ish) or select your own base model. I'm not a big fan of the JB and have no experience with the Pearlies; I think I would ask for something based on the 59' but worry it might be too bass heavy. Any recs?

Comment

If you dig the 59b, you'll probably like the PGb. It has a slight bump to the upper mids and a little less bass than the 59b, but they're in thr same ballpark as each other.
        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Virtual P90 isn't muddy at all and the double rows of screws gives you extra tweakability. Has a bit of humbucker oomph but very much straddles the line between HB and single coil.
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
          http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Rio grande fat bastard.

That is a heck of a rockin' pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post
              Virtual P90 isn't muddy at all and the double rows of screws gives you extra tweakability. Has a bit of humbucker oomph but very much straddles the line between HB and single coil.
              Hmm that sounds about like what I'm looking for, maybe I'll give that a try!

Comment

how about mini humbucker. they fit in a p90 route.

Comment

I ended up ordering a Dimarzio Virtual P90 and put it in just now... First impressions are great! It's nicely balanced low-medium output humbucker with a tight bottom end. It doesn't really sound like a P90 to me, but I was hoping/expecting that it wouldn't. It is unfortunately out of phase with my neck pickup, but that should be a quick fix.

Comment

Working...
                  X