Brighter Alternative to a Dimarzio Breed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brighter Alternative to a Dimarzio Breed

This forum was kind enough to turn me on to the Dimarzio Breed when I was looking for something similar to but distinct from a Tone Zone, and the Breed was a perfect fit for my HH Tele. I liked it so much, I put a second one in an HSS Strat, but it’s quite a bit darker in this guitar (it currently only has one volume and one tone knob, and the pots are a 1 meg pot and a no-load 500K pot, so I don’t think I’m going to get any more highs out of the existing circuit). Any suggestions for what I should try in it next? I find myself really enjoying full-sounding A5 pickups these days, so keep that in mind. I thought the AT-1 might be a good option, or maybe a Gravity Storm. I’ve heard some describe the mids problem n the Norton as nasally or honky, so that’s scaring me off that one.

Have you tried the JB in there?
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I tend to find the JB to loose in the low end for palm muted stuff, especially when tunes down. I do have a spare PATB-1 around that I was thinking about trying in it again. I only pulled it last time because the low end wasn’t working for me, but I’m thinking that was caused by that greasebucket circuit that was in there before, which I’ve since replaced with a regular tone knob.

Comment

Norton (not Air)

Comment

Originally posted by SweetClyde99 View Post
          This forum was kind enough to turn me on to the Dimarzio Breed when I was looking for something similar to but distinct from a Tone Zone, and the Breed was a perfect fit for my HH Tele. I liked it so much, I put a second one in an HSS Strat, but it’s quite a bit darker in this guitar (it currently only has one volume and one tone knob, and the pots are a 1 meg pot and a no-load 500K pot, so I don’t think I’m going to get any more highs out of the existing circuit). Any suggestions for what I should try in it next? I find myself really enjoying full-sounding A5 pickups these days, so keep that in mind. I thought the AT-1 might be a good option, or maybe a Gravity Storm. I’ve heard some describe the mids problem n the Norton as nasally or honky, so that’s scaring me off that one.
          Gravity Storm is one of my all time favorite Dimarzio bridge pickups. Tight big round and very dynamic. Not as sludgy and thick as a Tone Zone but more balanced and sweeter than the Breed. I sold the guitar I had mine in but wish i would have kept the GS bridge.
          Guitars
          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by SweetClyde99 View Post
            I tend to find the JB to loose in the low end for palm muted stuff, especially when tunes down. I do have a spare PATB-1 around that I was thinking about trying in it again. I only pulled it last time because the low end wasn’t working for me, but I’m thinking that was caused by that greasebucket circuit that was in there before, which I’ve since replaced with a regular tone knob.
            Try a Pegasus then. No low-end problems there!
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

AT-1 is very close to the Breed bridge, just with slightly less mids and a bit more treble.

You might also consider the Breed neck if you can find one. Makes a great bridge pickup.
              Only 10% less output than the bridge model but crisper and a little more open.
              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Evo2

edit; strike that you said alnico
                Last edited by dave74; 12-04-2021, 03:29 AM.

Comment

One step brighter would be the dominion set. I've heard they are just breeds with ceramic magnets. I don't know how true that is, but it makes sense.

the breed is an evolution (see what i did there?) Of the paf pro line.
                  Pafpro
                  Fred
                  mo' joe
                  Breed
                  dominion

The norton is quite a bit brighter, though that could be the crazy harmonics. It has. It has one fred coil and 1 tone zone coil, so it is also part decended from the paf pro.

Last edited by Juanhanglo; 12-04-2021, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Fishman Fluence Classic in Voice 2.

Comment

I’ve listened to a couple of demos of the Norton, and it has my attention. I did actually like a Tone Zone in this guitar with a capacitor in series with the hot lead to cut off some bass, and I’m getting the sense this wouldn’t be drastically different from a Norton. Ive read some complaints about the mids sounding nasally in the Norton; did you guys find that to be the case?

Comment

I think it is pretty open sounding, but YMMV.

I like the Breed a lot too, but it is very polite, the Norton is definitely more aggressive without being overpowering, IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                        X