Alnico 2 vs Alnico 5 w/ EQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alnico 2 vs Alnico 5 w/ EQ

So, I have an Epiphone SG with a burstbucker (alnico 2) in the bridge. I really like the tone of alnico 2, but It doesn't have enough attack for me. It seems like alnico 2 has a lot more mids, whereas alnico 5 has a slight mid-scoop. I like the mids of alnico 2 but the attack of alnico 5. So, I wonder how the burstbucker would compare to an A5 PAF with the amp's mid knob turned up significantly - basically boosting the mids until the A5 has as much mids as the A2. I don't currently have a guitar with an alnico 5 humbucker to try this with, but it seems like this would give me the best of both worlds.

Do you guys think an A5 pickup with boosted mids would basically sound like an A2 with more attack or would it still be significantly different than the A2?

It will still be a little brighter in the treble too, generally speaking, depends on the winding of course. Boosting the mids and backing the treble just a hair would maybe come close.

I'm actually a lot the same but at the next step up, meaning I prefer the attack of a ceramic and the smokey thick mids of an alnico, so I often end-up with strong mids and reduced treble on my amps. (with ceramic-powered pickups)

Comment

Maybe we both should just try an Alt-8!

Comment

If you wanna be adventurous, get 12 of these and swap em into your Burstbucker.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Humbucker-St...-127632-2357-0
        I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

No - I don't think that will do it. To me at least, there is a fundamental quality the magnet impacts that is not going top get EQ'd into something else.

The wind is the same deal, and they interact.

Can you change it a lot with an EQ? Yes. But always remember this rule; An EQ can't add anything that isn't already there. It can only reduce or emphasize what is there.

I have seen guys here try to go through the mag swap dance only to recognize in the end, they fundamentally have the wrong pickup. Sounds like you are working on the same thing. Go find the "right" pickup first.
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

A Burstbucker with an A5 is going to have a sharp high end, but is also going to lose a noticeable amount of midrange. Maybe you can get that back thru an amp, maybe you can't. A2's are unoriented and have a more complex sonic texture, A5's are oriented & don't have nearly as much. Are you able to increase treble on the amp or is it all the way up now?

Comment

Yeah, I don't think that is the solution, as you will gain high end, but the tone will get scooped. How about a pedal? A good drive or EQ should work, or explore the tone controls of your amp.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Maybe a roughcast A4? I just swapped rough A4’s in a pair of Burstbucker 1 & 2’s. Got rid of the thickness and “flubby” bass with the A2. Treble seems up a bit too. Bass, mids and treble seem really even with the A4’s. The neck was really thick, too thick for me. The bridge was “ok” but I wanted the flubby bass gone. The rough A4’s got rid of all of that. They are both now much more clear and articulate. Hard to believe they are the same pickups now. This was my first magnet swap, I didn’t think a magnet swap would change much. I was wrong. (Best 7 dollars I ever spent.) I also got a set of unoriented A5’s when I got the A4’s but the A4’s sound so good I’m not going to give those a try. Which lead me to wonder why more makers aren’t using A4’s more? Everything seems to be A2 &A5. But that’s a question for another day.

Comment

Originally posted by Robzoid View Post
                  So, I have an Epiphone SG with a burstbucker (alnico 2) in the bridge. I really like the tone of alnico 2, but It doesn't have enough attack for me. It seems like alnico 2 has a lot more mids, whereas alnico 5 has a slight mid-scoop. I like the mids of alnico 2 but the attack of alnico 5. So, I wonder how the burstbucker would compare to an A5 PAF with the amp's mid knob turned up significantly - basically boosting the mids until the A5 has as much mids as the A2. I don't currently have a guitar with an alnico 5 humbucker to try this with, but it seems like this would give me the best of both worlds.

Do you guys think an A5 pickup with boosted mids would basically sound like an A2 with more attack or would it still be significantly different than the A2?
                  I agree with aceman. It won't work, really. The A5 lacks the mids which the A2 have. The A2 also has the bell-like or forte tones which the A5 misses.

Why not go for the 78? or custom custom? We all know the juicy raunch of the A2 78. The custom custom is basically an A2 JB. Enough said.

Comment

Do both. Get a 31 band eq and decide what pickups and magnets you prefer.
                    The things that you wanted
                    I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by esandes View Post
                      The custom custom is basically an A2 JB. Enough said.
                      I thought the Custom Custom is an A2 Custom. An A2 JB is in the Concept set from the Custom Shop.

Comment

The CC is the highest DCR A2 HB. The JB is the highest DCR A5 HB.

Comment

Custom 5 is the A5 version of the Custom/CC. The JB is much more mid-spiked than the C5.

Comment

What do you mean by "attack"? Do you mean power, high/low end definition or something else? Also, what kind of amp are you using?

Putting an EQ in the effects loop will have a more dramatic impact than putting it in front of the amp.

I'd suggest trying an A8 or even ceramic magnet in the pickup. You should be able keep lots of mids and add more high end content.

Comment

The JB2 and CC don't sound alike at all.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X