Active Pickup Design/Specs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active Pickup Design/Specs

I am going to start winding my own pickups and would like to use some onboard preamp/eqs I have designed. Questions are what about the actual pickup design, what changes are made from passive designs.
    Thanks...
    B Banzai

Re: Active Pickup Design/Specs

hi banzai-guy, and welcome to the forum.

I'm not an expert as to how active pups are wound and stuff... but the one thing I DO know is that they have their own EQ's and I think preamps built into the pup or something? I'm not sure. But anyway, they're also cased in epoxy to stop vibration (feedback).
    • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
    • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
    • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
    • G&L Tribute Comanche
    • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
    • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
    • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

oh one other thing... you might be able to find some good info about how active pickups are made from the EMG website. Go to the support section or FAQ or whatever and there's plenty of stuff to read.
      • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
      • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
      • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
      • G&L Tribute Comanche
      • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
      • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
      • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Originally posted by bbanzai
        I am going to start winding my own pickups and would like to use some onboard preamp/eqs I have designed. Questions are what about the actual pickup design, what changes are made from passive designs.
        Thanks...
        B Banzai
        How does one "design" the preamp/eq, without knowing what one is "pre-amplifing" and "equalizing"?

"Design" the pickup first . . . then design the preamp and eq you need to get the sound you're aiming for.

Comment

Working...
        X