Overwound Phat Cat P90B question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overwound Phat Cat P90B question

Anyone know how hot a Phat Cat P90 bridge can be overwound without sounding like compressed humbucker?

I would ask the Custom Shop to see what they think. They would have the right recipe.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I think you'd run out of space inside the cover before that happened.
      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

just like anything else, you could use thinner wire to get more turns on what space you have on the bobbin but that changes things. as for the op's question... things will change as you put on more wire, where you think its gone too far is preference as much as anything else. if you wind it up to 16k with #44, its safe to say itll probably be very hot and compressed. if you wind it to 10k with #42 (assuming you can fit that much wire) itll be fatter and id guess some people would think it was too much and some wouldnt think it was enough

Comment

I was thinking about having one wound around 10k, enough to fatten it up and give it more drive without taking away the P90 tone.

Comment

I have an SP3 p90 Custom. It is pretty hot, but still a P-90. In fact, I'll say it is very NOT humbuckerish. So I expect that it could be done.
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

The main issue is just how much space there is on the ends of the bobbins. Regular p90's actually have quite a bit of bobbin flange, and 8k on them doesn't really get close to the edge. But its a much wider form factor than a humbucker and will take 2 coils worth of wire just fine.
              But having just checked a vintage p90 vs a PATB 3, the coil tape on the p90 is actually quite a bit wider even than the trembucker bobbin. Unless the Phat Cat is super deep, its unlikely that you'll be able to wind an extra 20% onto the end on both sides.

Comment

I have a Lollar Dogear P90 custom wound to 10K with a tap to get 50's P90 output. That pickup is pure awesomeness. It's also a full size P90 and as mentioned, it may not be possible to get the additional wire on a Phat Cat.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                  The main issue is just how much space there is on the ends of the bobbins. Regular p90's actually have quite a bit of bobbin flange, and 8k on them doesn't really get close to the edge. But its a much wider form factor than a humbucker and will take 2 coils worth of wire just fine.
                  But having just checked a vintage p90 vs a PATB 3, the coil tape on the p90 is actually quite a bit wider even than the trembucker bobbin. Unless the Phat Cat is super deep, its unlikely that you'll be able to wind an extra 20% onto the end on both sides.
                  That's what I'm saying.

Comment

I got a 12k Phat Cat. It's pretty good. It's slightly darker and more compressed, but very close to the true tone. Of course that impression will vary depending on how much of a vintage enthusiast the listener is. I could sell it if you want.
                    The things that you wanted
                    I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                      I got a 12k Phat Cat. It's pretty good. It's slightly darker and more compressed, but very close to the true tone. Of course that impression will vary depending on how much of a vintage enthusiast the listener is. I could sell it if you want.
                      Ummm...what color cover do you have that in?

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                        Now this is interesting, got an email from SD yesterday saying there is no room for extra winding with the Phat Cat and so it couldn't be done, but yet you have a 12k Phat Cat.
                        Did you order it that way from SD custom shop?

Comment

12k means #43 wire, not #42

Comment

Originally posted by JB6464 View Post

Now this is interesting, got an email from SD yesterday saying there is no room for extra winding with the Phat Cat and so it couldn't be done, but yet you have a 12k Phat Cat.
                            Did you order it that way from SD custom shop?
                            Yes, it's chrome.
                            The things that you wanted
                            I bought them for you

Comment

A P90 is just pure awesomeness. I doubt that you could do anything to it to degrade it into a humbucker tone. (Not that I don't particularly like humbuckers, 90% of my guitars have humbuckers and they are extremely versatile pups. They have their place. But you just can't beat a P90).
                              Originally Posted by IanBallard
                              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                              X