P-Rails / Triple shot resistance troubleshooting question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P-Rails / Triple shot resistance troubleshooting question

Having an issue changing the pickup on a Godin A6 to a P-Rails with Triple Shot, and can't tell if it's the switch or the preamp that's bad - the UST works fine, but the P-Rails is pretty much silent no matter what position the TS switches are in. I used a multimeter to check the coils and they're both within spec. When I test the output at the jack, I get either infinite resistance or at best hundreds of MOhms. When I opened it up again and tested on the TS at the + and - pads, I got no reading. If I understand how the Triple Shot works, I think the reading at the + and - pads should be whatever coil or coil combination resistance is selected, so I think the Triple Shot may be the source of the problem.

Is this a correct interpretation, or are there some other points I should be testing to rule out the TS? The wires are all going to the correct pads and I already reflowed the joints. If it is bad, is there any chance of repairing it myself (i.e., replace the ribbon cable and see if that's the problem) or is there more circuitry involved under the sticky tape that could be fried and it'd be easier to just get a new one? Or is it behaving as it should and I should look into a new preamp?

Thank you!
    Vince

The TS is very delicate and easy to destroy with force, twist or heat. There is no easy way to repair. If they are new they could also be DOA.
    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Thank you, that’s what I was afraid of. Appreciate the answer!

Comment

I love what a TS ring can do to the tonal selections of a pup, but as hamerfan said, the wires and connections are very delicate and can be damaged just by getting upset and looking at it cross-eyed.

One trick I've found that helps when working with TS rings is to flow a good helping of silicone around all of the connections. This protects those delicate joints from too much flexing and the tension which can easily destroy it.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
          I love what a TS ring can do to the tonal selections of a pup, but as hamerfan said, the wires and connections are very delicate and can be damaged just by getting upset and looking at it cross-eyed.

One trick I've found that helps when working with TS rings is to flow a good helping of silicone around all of the connections. This protects those delicate joints from too much flexing and the tension which can easily destroy it.
          Yeah, looks like a combo of a burned pad on the ribbon cable and a gap in the strain relief silicone so the #1 wire was shot. Desoldered the cables, repaired the pad (never done one that small before, hopefully never again!) and redid the cable. Don’t seem to be any shorts anywhere, but seeing some resistance in the continuity tests between the ribbon wire pads and switch pads when I don’t have the pickup wired in yet. Are the switches sitting on smd resistors or did I burn something out? I would expect to see straight continuity there. Also, there are pads for an smd capacitor that would bridge the two switches; nothing is connected there. Is it missing a component or is it an artifact left over from another version of the board? I’m finding this a fascinating little piece of kit! Think I’m going to buy a new one for the install, but do some readings on various spots and just keep playing around with this one. Thanks again for the help everyone!

Vince

Comment

Yeah, this is seriously delicate work if something goes bad. I was able to avoid it, but I could see why its pretty common for those wires to separate.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
            X