Player Upgrade.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Player Upgrade.

Thinking of changing out the stock Player pickups for something vintage. It's been suggested that I go with the SSL-2 set because the poles are flat, rather than go with something like the SSL-1 or Fender 57/62 set because it will "fit" the radius (9.5") better. This confuses me since the stock pickups are staggered and they fit fine (I mean, OBVIOUSLY, since they're made specifically for the guitar). Does anybody have any insight they can throw at me?

While the Players Series Strat pickups are staggered, it's a mild stagger compared to a traditional vintage style stagger. If I had one of those Strats, I'd leave the stock pickups in there and play the snot out of it. Every one of them I've picked up and played around here has been excellent. Fender really did a fantastic job on them.

BUT, if you want something vintage sounding and not staggered and are open to noiseless pickups, go for the Classic Stack Plus all around. If you want a hotter bridge, the Vintage Hot Stack Plus (STK-S7) is a good option. Go with the Custom Stack Plus in the bridge for even more beef (and would make the set similar to the SSL-1/SSL-1/SSL-5 or SSL-2/SSL-2/SSL-6).
    Last edited by ErikH; 01-13-2022, 10:31 AM.

Comment

If I have the choice, I always go flat. It is easier to balance the radius of the strings. Classic staggers were made with wound 3rd strings in mind. The SSL-2 is a great set.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
        BUT, if you want something vintage sounding and not staggered and are open to noiseless pickups, go for the Classic Stack Plus all around.
        I would have said about the same thing. I have the STK-4's N/M and I think it's the STK-9 in the bridge. Sweet single coil character, with no noise. Love 'em.

Comment

If I had one of those Strats, I'd leave the stock pickups in there and play the snot out of it. Every one of them I've picked up and played around here has been excellent. Fender really did a fantastic job on them.
          Agreed. I have a 2021 and I love it. No need to change the pickups.

Comment

BUT, if you want something vintage sounding and not staggered and are open to noiseless pickups, go for the Classic Stack Plus all around. If you want a hotter bridge, the Vintage Hot Stack Plus (STK-S7) is a good option.
            In case I repeat myself (and I know I do ), STK-S4n and STK-S7b (with 250k pots) are a match made in heaven (for me at least). But IMHO it's not in the vintage territory anymore, just a bit hot-rodded compared to my vintage Strat.
            I listened to SSL-5/6 and STK-S6 and it's going a bit to far for me.

Comment

But a set of STK-S4s is squarely in vintage territory, and certainly worth exploring.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                But a set of STK-S4s is squarely in vintage territory, and certainly worth exploring.
                I've just put the neck back on my Squier, so I have another option open to me. The partscaster I was working on will have to wait.

Comment

Working...
                X