Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Independent Dual Volume Dual Tone

Hello everyone,

I did some searching on here and if the answer is already here, I missed it. Sorry for the repeat if so. Anyway, I have installed two pickups, Neck - JAZZ NECK (SH-2N), Bridge - DUNCAN CUSTOM (SH-5) and used this wiring diagram along with what is at the end to get independent control of the pickups.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2V2TAlternateVol.png
Views:	280
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	6143311

I also used the Seymour Duncan wiring diagram for this set up so I knew what to do with the 4 conductor wires.

Tied off red and white together and soldered green and shield to the base and black to the middle pin on the pot. I also wired the cap as shown in the Stew-Mac image.

The neck pickup with vol and tone is working as expected. The bridge pickup not so much. It doesn't really act like a volume but more like a filter thing and the tone pot seems ok. Not sure how to explain it but it's definitely not acting as a volume control. Any suggestions would help! Thanks!

-Jason

That’s a weird way to ground the tone cap.

Since the bridge and neck are both wired exactly the same way it’s probably a bad solder or incorrect connection. Recheck your grounds first.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

There are several different ways to ground the cap. This way is just fine.

I agree with PFD that there is a bad/wrong connection somewhere. If wired and soldered correctly, everything should work as expected. Definitely recheck all of your connections.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Sorry for later reply! Thanks so much! I will re-check and post an update.

Comment

OK..Took me a while to get back to this project. I feel really confident that the wiring is correct. I payed closer attention to what the knob is doing. It seems to turn the volume down...just not all the way? It drops a little in volume and loses lower frequencies. Almost as if the sound with is still "leaking" through the pot and past the tone because I can still use the tone knob to adjust the tone. Is it possible that I have a bad pot?

Comment

Are you sure the third lug on the vol pot is grounded? Did you check it by just looking at it or did you resolder it? Could be a "cold solder joint". You should resolder all the joints and THEN check to see if it's working properly. Also make sur there are no stray wires touching anything they're not supposed to.

Comment

Also, it would be nice if we could see what's going on. Take several close-up pics of the wiring, from several different angles so we can see every connection. Make sure the pics are clear.

Comment

This is not the solution, but maybe a small part of the problem: Do you use logarithmic pots for volume?
                Last edited by hamerfan; 02-07-2022, 09:26 AM.
                I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                  There are several different ways to ground the cap. This way is just fine.

I agree with PFD that there is a bad/wrong connection somewhere. If wired and soldered correctly, everything should work as expected. Definitely recheck all of your connections.
                  Agreed on the tone cap wiring. Nothing odd about it.

Also agreed on probably a bad solder joint.

But...

Make sure your pots are good and that you haven't got a bad one or accidentally cooked one during soldering.

Also, and this can be contentious, make sure you haven't installed a volume pot to volume pot ground. I don't know why, but this seems to stop the independent volumes from working.

Comment

Thanks for the replies all everyone. Not exactly sure what kind of pot it is. I ordered a wiring kit from StewMac. I will go ahead and resolder the third pin before taking pictures. I agree that it's most likely a bad solder joint. Thanks again everyone. Hope to have an update after the weekend!

Comment

How did it go? Did resoldering the connections do it?

Comment

Sorry for taking so long on this! Here is the latest! I tried a few more times to get it to work to no avail. Went to Dallas International Guitar show and met the guys at the MojoTone booth and talked to them about it. They weren't sure what was going on. I saw a prewired kit from them for an SG while I was at their booth and let them know it wouldn't fit since mine is a side jack output. They were awesome! Told me to email them and remind them of who I was and they would work up a kit with some extra length on it. Received it yesterday, removed the old stuff and just put in and guess what! IT WORKS PERFECTLY! So...must have been bad pot *shrug*? Anyway, everything is good now! Thank you to everyone that helped me out with this!

Comment

I am happy they took care of you! Love a good mystery solved.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                          X