X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nsatke81
    replied
    Originally posted by dave74 View Post
    I really don't like anything about a 7-string. I'd rather use a 6 for anything down to C. Below that I'd just go baritone.
    I hear you—the baritones are great. But I like the way I can voice chords and scales on a 7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Ashurbanipal
    replied
    Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    I hadn't looked it up when I posted, but yeah, reliable guess! Come to think of it, a 7 string 59/C would be pretty sweet too , I imagine the custom shop could whip one up on request.

Regarding Kiesel, by the time it would make it to me, shipping/customs would push it to over 2k, I suspect, certainly now, since shipping across bigger distances is $$$. A good option though, as guitar is fully customizable, unlike most others.

Well, better get to saving pennies regardless .

Leave a comment:

• Demanic
    replied
    Originally posted by 1neeto View Post

I posted a video above. They sound great through my Mesa amp. Very defined and balanced especially the low notes.

Right after I posted, I saw that you posted the video. Nice.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied
    Originally posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
    Pretty smooth sounds there.

Mm, I hope to get a 7 string at some point, though it's impossible to find one one with moderate/low output pups and a non-locking whammy at a wallet friendly budget. Everything's either Floyd or hardtail and with hotter pups (active or passive), which, given the typical targeted market and what they get used for, is not surprising. The AZ 7s Ibanez put out last year look sweet (the HSS twigs my gas a bit), but they're Prestige and over 2k; and some of those Vola Oz models look nice too, but only a bit less $ than Ibanez.
    Base price for a 7 string Kiesel with a non-locking trem is $1569.

Leave a comment:

• Nsatke81
    replied
    Yeah they can be hard to find without hot pickups. At least they’re inexpensive enough to still be at under $1k after a pickup swap.

2014 SC245 with 57/08 pickups.

I know it’s pricey but the angel vivaldi charvel is really nice.

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied
    Seymour offers 59s and Jazz in 7 string?
    They totally do.

Leave a comment:

• Ashurbanipal
    replied
    Yes. Interestingly, the original Korn RG was spec'd with DiM PAFs. Feel like amps/pedals these days have more than plenty of gain, you can always add more there. I guess that was the rationale for the boys back then, as they used Rectifiers. Hotter pups do have their own vibe and place, of course, with the way the compress, stark clarity etc. But I suppose, since these days it's possible to get a pretty good guitar for $500 or less, buying some pups is not a big deal, though finding PAF voiced/output ones in 7 string format is a bit tougher. Apart from DiM, I guess Seymour offers 59s and Jazz in 7 string? Maybe BKP does too, but they're

Indeed, the PRS is not too shabby .

Leave a comment:

• 1neeto
    replied
    Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
    That’s a cool guitar!
    Not bad for a Les Paul wannabe.

Leave a comment:

• PFDarkside
    replied
    That’s a cool guitar!

Leave a comment:

• 1neeto
    replied

Mm, I hope to get a 7 string at some point, though it's impossible to find one one with moderate/low output pups and a non-locking whammy at a wallet friendly budget. Everything's either Floyd or hardtail and with hotter pups (active or passive), which, given the typical targeted market and what they get used for, is not surprising. The AZ 7s Ibanez put out last year look sweet (the HSS twigs my gas a bit), but they're Prestige and over 2k; and some of those Vola Oz models look nice too, but only a bit less $ than Ibanez.
    Yeah they can be hard to find without hot pickups. At least they’re inexpensive enough to still be at under $1k after a pickup swap.
    Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

What’s that PRS?
    2014 SC245 with 57/08 pickups.

Leave a comment:

• PFDarkside
    replied

Thanks! Here’s a full shot. Not a bad guitar for $500. And yeah the issue with those Dimarzio’s is direct-fitting them in a cavity. I had to drill out the holes to accept the sodden screws since they’re pre-drilled for machine screws for a ring or pick guard. Only thing is that I can’t adjust the height, but they do sound great.

What’s that PRS?

Leave a comment:

• Ashurbanipal
    replied

Leave a comment:

• 1neeto
    replied
    Originally posted by Demanic View Post
    Those are some thick pickups. What do they sound like?

I posted a video above. They sound great through my Mesa amp. Very defined and balanced especially the low notes.

Leave a comment:

• Demanic
    replied
    When I put my Dimarzio Dreamcatcher/Rainmaker combo on my Ibanez 7 string, it was quite challenging. I had to remove the springs and foam felt just so they could fit low enough. And I had to put one of them upside down because there was no way to fit the wiring unless I made a routing for the wire. But it did work in the end.

Those are some thick pickups. What do they sound like?

Leave a comment:

• 1neeto
    replied
    Hm, seems like the more budget friendly Ibanez 7 strings are pretty good for the $$.

With the pups, yeah, one option is to install a pickguard and mount them on that, but not everyone's cup of tea, and if you have a figured top, you'd hide half of it.
    I can only speak for mine, but yeah I agree. Even when I first bought it, I wasn’t expecting much, but it was a very nicely setup, and constructed instrument. Wasn’t a fan of the pickups from the get-go, but the guitar felt like it was worth at least 200 more bucks.

I made this after I installed the Dimarzio’s, I do ramble about the guitar a bit, but I also go through all the pickup switching options.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X