Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB into strat wiring.

Hello all,
    I have an Elite Strat HSS with the shawbucker that I want to replace with the JB. I know the phase is opposite the fender and I have to swap the north start and south start leads to correct that, but I just want to make sure that the bare copper lead grounds out as normal and doesnt swap with the South wire? Thanks in advance for any help.

Yup. Exactly. Green to hot. Black and bare to ground.

Comment

The bare ALWAYS goes directly to ground, never via a switch. It's the baseplate or shield ground wire, nothing to do with the signal, so ALWAYS ground it.

As for phase, yup, SD and Fender (and some others) are opposite phased, so you either reverse the wiring on the humbucker or the two single coils.

If you've got a superswitch with auto coil splitting in P2 it might actually be easier to flip the two Fender single coils.
      Last edited by ThreeChordWonder; 01-18-2022, 10:57 PM.

Comment

The guitar utilizes an S1 switch and a push push to bipass the controls and go just bridge straight on. In the diagram it looks like the the hot goes to the push push switch and the the other to the tone pot. So I should be able to run the JBs Green wire to the push push and the black to the pot right?

Comment

Yes, that should work.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

So the swap went well and everything seems to be working. I tested the resistance with the pickups Installed through the input jack and noticed that it's right where you would expect with the direct to humbucker switch that bypasses the pots, but it reads about 1k less with just the regular bridge position through the controls. That normal?

Comment

Originally posted by Rich68xr7 View Post
              So the swap went well and everything seems to be working. I tested the resistance with the pickups Installed through the input jack and noticed that it's right where you would expect with the direct to humbucker switch that bypasses the pots, but it reads about 1k less with just the regular bridge position through the controls. That normal?
              We all know what you're talking about, and it's a very little thing, I know, and I'm OCD...but a guitar has an "output" jack.

You mean that with the pup wired into the guitar and through the pots/controls it reads 1k LESS than when the pup is on the bench or direct through? That's impossible.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

We all know what you're talking about, and it's a very little thing, I know, and I'm OCD...but a guitar has an "output" jack.

You mean that with the pup wired into the guitar and through the pots/controls it reads 1k LESS than when the pup is on the bench or direct through? That's impossible.
                Dude has a control bypass switch. Pickup reads 1k less going through controls vs straight to jack.
                Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

yes, its normal for things to read differently through the controls. seems like you should be fine with things the way they are

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

Your right. I ment and should have said output jack . With the straight to pickup switch activated it reads 17.4. Switch off and it drops to 16.2. Probably by design. Little boost switch. With the Shawbucker I never measured with the meter, but the difference was less pronounced.

Comment

Working...
                    X