Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I gotta eat some crow...

Hello all.

Recently, I've been playing around with guitars that I hadn't played too much, and I found that my Epi Nighthawk Custom sounded a little thin and pingy at the bridge.

As some of you know, the Nighthawk has an oddly shaped bridge pickup route, which requires that whatever humbucker is installed be angled, with each coil being off centner to the other.

Previously, I had gotten a brass baseplate from a vendor in the UK (I forget the name) that had allowed me to install a Pearly Gates bridge in the guitar.

At the time, I liked what the PGb was doing in that guitar, even though the split sound was a little weak and maybe a little too bright.

I then went on to mostly ignore the guitar for a while, concentrating on strats and super strats.

I pulled it out last night to oil the board and jam on it a little, and it sounded quite thin. It still sounded like a PGb, but I remember it being thicker and louder.

I have some spare time, so, what the hell, I got the soldering iron out.

I looked into my pickup box and I saw an old, OLD, double screw coil JB that I had loaded with an alnico II mag and had stolen a set of fillisters from and replaced them with hexes from a Full Shred. I figured that, since it's already a franken-bucker, it wouldn't hurt to put it on this brass baseplate.

​​​​​​I've talked a LOT of smack about the JB in mahogany, set neck guitars. I've said that it's loose, has an annoying high-mid grind, and that it's way too compressed and sloppy.

In this set neck, mahogany guitar, I take all of that back.

I don't know if it's the 6 fillster/6 hex screws, the Alnico II mag, the brass baseplate, or if it's the thin, mahogany body and 25.5" scale neck or the ebony fingerboard, but it sounds GREAT.

Is the bass tight?

Tight enough to do metal chugs, gallops, and punk downstrokes.

Sloppy?

Nah. You can hear every note in a chord when played dirty. Even when played really, really dirty.

High mid grind?

Yeah, it's there, BUT, it seems a bit more restrained and the frequency range seems to be more filled out. It's got more low mids and sweeter highs than I recall.

How are the cleans?

Well, in full humbucker mode, they're OK. Not great.

Split, they're pretty darned good. I have it set to split to the coil that sits closest to the neck (hex screws). It'll chicken pick and twang on its own, does a convincing strat in between tone when combined with the middle singe, and has nice airiness when combined with the SM-1n in the neck.

I really like this pickup in this guitar, guys. I was wrong about it in the past. The JB *can* work in mahogany.

Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

I had a JB in my LP Studio and I just couldn’t get along with it. Glad you found a spot where one works!
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
    Originally posted by Securb
    The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

Surprised that you get all that with an A2. I have a JB in a set neck mahogany Shecter Blackjack. I love it. But it has standard slug/screw, but with an RCUOA5. Splits very nicely too.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by trevorus View Post
        I had a JB in my LP Studio and I just couldn’t get along with it. Glad you found a spot where one works!
        I've had this particular Franken-JB in a LP, an Alleykat, and an old, double cut Hamer. It didn't sound quite right until now.

I think what I'm hearing is the longer scale, string through bridge, and ebony fingerboard along with the hex poles "fixing" what I didn't like about the JB previously.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
          Surprised that you get all that with an A2. I have a JB in a set neck mahogany Shecter Blackjack. I love it. But it has standard slug/screw, but with an RCUOA5. Splits very nicely too.

I have a rough cast A5 sitting here. I may try it if I end up playing tuned down or with more gain, but I think that this guitar is snappy and chimey enough that it offsets what the Alnico II does on its own.

Comment

The only time I ever liked a stock JB was in LTD EC-1000 (ESP les paul style), I even liked the series clean tone. In Fenders it was THE absolute worst pickup I've ever played, it really is picky.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaghetti Bolo View Post
              The only time I ever liked a stock JB was in LTD EC-1000 (ESP les paul style), I even liked the series clean tone. In Fenders it was THE absolute worst pickup I've ever played, it really is picky.
              It really is picky. It's a wonder that it's used as an OE pickup in so many different guitars.

Comment

Probably because for a live stage setting, the high mids that are annoying to bedroom level players, really cut through in a mix.

Comment

In the past 5 years, I have had a JB in mahogany I couldn't stand, and one I love. So give it a try.

FYI - the crowd loved the one I hated.
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I still don't see where all of these JB complaints are coming from. Too bright, too mushy, etc

If I were someone having issues with any given JB, I'd look at the amp first (guitar too, but amp first).

Remember the era when the JB came out, and when it became immensely popular not long after.

What were those guys using for gear..............

Hm.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                      I still don't see where all of these JB complaints are coming from. Too bright, too mushy, etc

If I were someone having issues with any given JB, I'd look at the amp first (guitar too, but amp first).

Remember the era when the JB came out, and when it became immensely popular not long after.

What were those guys using for gear..............

Hm.
                      Maybe you like bright, mushy pickups in general...

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post
                        Maybe you like bright, mushy pickups in general...
                        I love the JB. Run mine in an alder strat with no tone pot, 2 point fender AMSTD trem with Callaham saddles & block.

Sometimes concert pitch tuning, sometimes 1/2 step down.

Into a Plexi or ADA MP-1

The somewhat accentuated midrange does great for solos too - I typically don't need to add a small bump in mids when mixing for solos with the JB.

Comment

Working...
                        X