"New" Invaders??? Or new look?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "New" Invaders??? Or new look?

I just saw where SD posted this on Facebook. Is it a "new" Invader? A new Invader look? Or is that one of those new optional covers they talked about awhile ago. (Which I can't find reference to now.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Duncan_Invader_with_cover-02.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	6146201

Don't know, but that looks slick.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post
      Don't know, but that looks slick.
      Yup. I'd buy a set of those on looks alone. Fortunately, I know the Invaders sound sweet.

Comment

It has the black powder-coated cover. I have a set of Seths with that cover (with black screws).
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

That would look great with black-nickel double fills.

Comment

I'm curious how they pulled that off without running into issues with the pole pieces. I did a similar mod with a plastic cover years ago, problem was the pole pieces on the ainvader aren't properly screwed in - they're just pressed in and held in with friction. They also aren't all that tall. Regular screw-in pole pieces attach to the base plate, but the width of those big bolts in combination with the extra magnet in the Invader meant there was no way to drill threads wide enough into the base plate.

In other words, add a layer of anything in between the head and the bobbins and you run the risk of the bolts not gripping properly.
            --------------------------------------------------------
            1973 Aria 551
            1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
            1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
            1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
            1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
            1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
            2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              It has the black powder-coated cover. I have a set of Seths with that cover (with black screws).
              Do they still have it on the website somewhere? I couldn't find it.

Comment

That's an Evil set of Seths!
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

How did you order those?
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

Do they still have it on the website somewhere? I couldn't find it.
                    It is on the Shop Floor Custom page.

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

How did you order those?
                    Directly through the Custom Shop, as I think there were a few other things I wanted, like 4 conductor wiring and 1 pickup to have a flipped magnet. But I think if you just want the cover/screw combination with everything else being the same, you can get it through a dealer.

Comment

Thank you. Couldn't find that for the life of me.

Comment

Directly through the Custom Shop, as I think there were a few other things I wanted, like 4 conductor wiring and 1 pickup to have a flipped magnet. But I think if you just want the cover/screw combination with everything else being the same, you can get it through a dealer.
                        Ok, I remember now. I assume you didn’t get special treatment for timing, how long was the leadtime?
                        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post
                          I'm curious how they pulled that off without running into issues with the pole pieces. I did a similar mod with a plastic cover years ago, problem was the pole pieces on the ainvader aren't properly screwed in - they're just pressed in and held in with friction. They also aren't all that tall. Regular screw-in pole pieces attach to the base plate, but the width of those big bolts in combination with the extra magnet in the Invader meant there was no way to drill threads wide enough into the base plate.

In other words, add a layer of anything in between the head and the bobbins and you run the risk of the bolts not gripping properly.
                          That is why a couple years back I was asking on here if anyone knew if my Gates tb-8 invaders were made in the actual custom shop.
                          The chrome poles on them are screwed-in snug, but when I took one out and went to replace it with a standard black off a regular invader guess what? Loose.
                          I just put the chrome cap back in and eventually found the perfect guitars for them anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

Ok, I remember now. I assume you didn’t get special treatment for timing, how long was the leadtime?
                            Nope, I didn't, although I did get to talk with MJ on the phone.

I think it took 2 months. But I was in the middle of a Warmoth project and all the parts hadn't come in yet.

Comment

Looks like an active mount soap bar cover

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X