Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Series/Parallel, Vintage Stack (N) LIL 59(B) Single Push-Pull for BOTH

Good Morning All,

Quick question. IS it possible to use a single Push/Pull pot to do series/parallel for BOTH pickups in my tele. Typical Vintage Stack (N)/LIL 59(B) set up. 3 way lever switch 1 vol 1 tone. Would use my tone as the PP switch.

Just to make sure i am communicating this correctly, Push Pull Tone pot would switch BOTH Neck and Bridge pickups from series to parallel operation.... 3 way lever would act as normal (N/Both/B).

Thanks in Advance.

Joe
    Charvel So Cal (USA)
    Gibson Les Paul Trad Pro
    WAY WAY to many stompboxes.(Bogner/Boss/Dunlop/TC Electronic/MXR/Korg)
    Peavey Classic 50 Head (black tweed) EVH 5150III 2X12(blk) & 4X12(wht) cabs
    Yair-Alvarez JY 10 w/Fishman Ellips-Matrix Blend

Yes.

Most p/p pots are 2p2t, meaning they have 2 separate circuits that operate at once, and have 2 throws or positions (up and down.)

Dimarzio makes a 4p2t if you need more switching..

Comment

Originally posted by Juanhanglo View Post
      Yes.

Most p/p pots are 2p2t, meaning they have 2 separate circuits that operate at once, and have 2 throws or positions (up and down.)

Dimarzio makes a 4p2t if you need more switching..

PERFECT, Thank You for the quick response....
      Charvel So Cal (USA)
      Gibson Les Paul Trad Pro
      WAY WAY to many stompboxes.(Bogner/Boss/Dunlop/TC Electronic/MXR/Korg)
      Peavey Classic 50 Head (black tweed) EVH 5150III 2X12(blk) & 4X12(wht) cabs
      Yair-Alvarez JY 10 w/Fishman Ellips-Matrix Blend

Comment

Are you talking about both pickups in series/parallel with each other, or each individual pickup is able to switch in series/parallel?

Wait...you need both poles of a switch for one pickup to be series/parallel though. Look at this basic diagram (not a Tele, but you see how s/p is done on each pickup).

Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

if you want each pup to switch from series to parallel with one switch, then you need a 4p2t as far as i know

Comment

^ What Mincer said.

By default humbuckers are series wired.

Using SD colors:

Green = screw coil ground
            Red = screw coil hot
            White = slug coil ground
            Black = slug coil hot.

The normal, series wiring is to ground the green, join the red and white together, to put the coils in series, leaving black as the hot "out".

To wire the coils in parallel, you have to split the red and white across one set of contacts. In series, the red goes to the white. In parallel it goes to the black or hot.

But that leaves the white hanging. So the second half of the switch is needed to provide a ground for the white.

You might think wiring the white to the middle contact on one side, so it goes push connects to red, pull connects to ground, would work, but it doesn't, because them the red is left hanging.

Comment

That having been said, you could use an S-1 pot, which has four sets of contacts in a push-push arrangement.

I will draw it up later and post it.

Comment

I never thought of the s1 switch as 4p2t.

VERY good to know.

Comment

Here you go

Click image for larger version

Name:	S-1 Switch for Dual Coil Splits.png
Views:	211
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	6151341

Comment

Working...
                  X