banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Air Norton with Ceramic Magnet = close to Gravity Storm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Norton with Ceramic Magnet = close to Gravity Storm?

Comparing the Air Norton and the Gravity Storm neck pickup, they look close regarding the coil windings.
    Sure there is a difference in pole pieces and the GS has the virtual vintage slugs in the bobbins but if someone swaps the A5 magnet of the AN, he might gets close enough to the GS.
    Some seem to claim that VV is more of a marketing ad instead of a real technical benefit. Other than that, both sharing Dual Resonance and Air-Bucker patents.

Does someone have a Gravity Storm neck PU to verify the guess of same coil winds of north and south coil?

I just ordered the Air Norton and can provide more info as it arrives.

VV technology adds inductance without increasing resistance.

I believe it reduces or smooths out the highs with adding resistance to the coils.
    ​​​​​​​

Comment

Yeah theoretically it has an effect.
      See discussion: https://guitarnuts2.proboards.com/th...embedded-slugs

Comment

The Air Norton arrived, I measure 5.26k for the south coil and 6,6k for the north coil.
        Does anyone have the Gravity Storm neck for comparison?

Comment

Just tried a ceramic magnet with the AN.
          It sounds awesome, reminds me a little on a Bluesbucker. Very single coil like with quick attack.

Comment

I keep meaning to try the Gravity Storm set. Before covid, you could get cheap pickup sets on Ebay if you had some patience. Now you can't even find any, much less cheap ones.
            The Air Norton has always seemed very muddy to me. I'd bet the ceramic helped it out a bit.

Comment

Working...
            X