So many Duncans, Fewer Dimarzios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So many Duncans, Fewer Dimarzios

I am no brand loyalist, I use products from everyone. Over the years swapping between active/passive, med/hot... (older I get the lower the winds I like....as my amps have so much more gain)

The past 8+ years I have been into magnet swapping due the Custom being a favorite pickup and noticing hey, swapping the magnets you can have all different versions. The changes were quite noticable and being a tweaker was another fun and inexpensive variable to manipulate. Had so many great results and allowed me to swap pickups less.

I have found that I have gathered quite a collection of Duncans. For a few reasons, they're very easy to take apart and swap parts. They're readily available used, and I have gotten sets for great deals. The winds and quality are pretty consistent.

I am selling off my last pair of Dimarzios because I just can't tweak them as easily as SDs. Often magnets and other parts are glued in place. Their catalog is overwhelming - and I am so behind on their product line. They were later to the magnet game as many of the products were A5 and Ceramic (my least favs..)

I have liked BKPs but they're pricey, even used. I like Mojotones and their costs for custom builds. Never had an issue with build quality from Dimarzio and positive experiences with their customer service.

Am I missing out on anything? I need to list all the passive Duncan humbuckers I have not experienced yet - its on the shorter side. Can't say that for any other brand besides EMG and Fluence.

Sounds like you are in the right place then!!!

I'm a big fan of both SD and DMZ. I still do like the 81/85 set in some select guitars, but variety is really nice when you get up to a double-digit guitar count.

My only BKPs have been ceramic warpigs.
    As much as I like the warpigs I can't see myself paying current prices for them anymore. I got mine way back for $119 each!

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
      Sounds like you are in the right place then!!!

I'm a big fan of both SD and DMZ. I still do like the 81/85 set in some select guitars, but variety is really nice when you get up to a double-digit guitar count.

My only BKPs have been ceramic warpigs.
      As much as I like the warpigs I can't see myself paying current prices for them anymore. I got mine way back for $119 each!
      I have always favored the 85 in the bridge and sadly about the only EMG I have not owned is a 58. 81 will always be metal heaven.

I can barely remember paying those prices for used BKPs...wow. I have dug the Mules, Black Dog, and VH. Aftermath and Painkiller were a bit over the top for me. Always wanted to try a Juggernaut. Mojotone has a Black Magic similar wind. I also want to try some of their vintage unpotted winds.

When I think back to my Dimarzios, the only set that stayed long is Activators and a Crunch Lab. Just tried the CL the other day after quite a break and that is whats going on the chopping block. I have always dug the Axis and I know there is a lot of speculation what pups are close to those winds. Nina's pups look cool and the Fortitude is in my wheel house but I have so many lower output winds. I may be one of the few who never had an affinity for the Super Distortion. Its one of the hottest pickups Ive ever played and would need to lower so much to make it usable for me. Probably doesnt help my first real amp was a 5150. I can see where an SD would be amazing back with amps in the 70s.

Comment

Originally posted by krovatron View Post

I have always favored the 85 in the bridge and sadly about the only EMG I have not owned is a 58. 81 will always be metal heaven.

I can barely remember paying those prices for used BKPs...wow. I have dug the Mules, Black Dog, and VH. Aftermath and Painkiller were a bit over the top for me. Always wanted to try a Juggernaut. Mojotone has a Black Magic similar wind. I also want to try some of their vintage unpotted winds.

When I think back to my Dimarzios, the only set that stayed long is Activators and a Crunch Lab. Just tried the CL the other day after quite a break and that is whats going on the chopping block. I have always dug the Axis and I know there is a lot of speculation what pups are close to those winds. Nina's pups look cool and the Fortitude is in my wheel house but I have so many lower output winds. I may be one of the few who never had an affinity for the Super Distortion. Its one of the hottest pickups Ive ever played and would need to lower so much to make it usable for me. Probably doesnt help my first real amp was a 5150. I can see where an SD would be amazing back with amps in the 70s.
        I just recently noticed that some of the models with fancy covers like Nina's, and JP's sonic-xtacy are offered now with standard bobbins and pricing.

Comment

Originally posted by krovatron View Post
          I am no brand loyalist, I use products from everyone. Over the years swapping between active/passive, med/hot... (older I get the lower the winds I like....as my amps have so much more gain)

The past 8+ years I have been into magnet swapping due the Custom being a favorite pickup and noticing hey, swapping the magnets you can have all different versions. The changes were quite noticable and being a tweaker was another fun and inexpensive variable to manipulate. Had so many great results and allowed me to swap pickups less.

I have found that I have gathered quite a collection of Duncans. For a few reasons, they're very easy to take apart and swap parts. They're readily available used, and I have gotten sets for great deals. The winds and quality are pretty consistent.

I am selling off my last pair of Dimarzios because I just can't tweak them as easily as SDs. Often magnets and other parts are glued in place. Their catalog is overwhelming - and I am so behind on their product line. They were later to the magnet game as many of the products were A5 and Ceramic (my least favs..)

I have liked BKPs but they're pricey, even used. I like Mojotones and their costs for custom builds. Never had an issue with build quality from Dimarzio and positive experiences with their customer service.

Am I missing out on anything? I need to list all the passive Duncan humbuckers I have not experienced yet - its on the shorter side. Can't say that for any other brand besides EMG and Fluence.
          I am in the opposite camp.

I like that Dimarzio mid thing. I have swapped magnets before in ibanez pickups.

From Duncan, I like the full shreds alot. i like lace humbuckers too

Comment

Originally posted by Juanhanglo View Post

I am in the opposite camp.

I like that Dimarzio mid thing. I have swapped magnets before in ibanez pickups.

From Duncan, I like the full shreds alot. i like lace humbuckers too
            I dig Lace single coils, and the Man o Wars for bass. The Red, Silver, Blue is one of the best Strat sets for none strat players IMO.

My lil bro noticed how different we each pick and how guitars sound different when we each play them. I notice signature guitars with Dimarzios sound good, and he sounds amazing playing them, always wonder about that factor too. The Full Shred is the one pickup I have yet to play and I am huge Opeth fan. He swears by them in the bridge of his PRS ( or at least use to? Not sure what Mikael plays these days. )

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon
              Seymour is my go-to, but I use and enjoy pickups from DiMarzio, EMG, Fender, and Gibson as well. They all make some great stuff.
              Agreed. I have a set of Fender Tele Noiseless, I think the Ultras that Shaw revamped and they're incredible. I love the Gibson Burstbuckers - 3 in the bridge and 1 in the neck.

I use to be big into the Dimarzio Area series. They have a newer p90 that looks nice. I am too satisfied with Mojotone quiet coils though. EMG will always have a place. The 85 and 89 are great for HSS. I currently do not have any EMG sets though. Recently sold a set of Hot70 retroactives. I have a few set of Fluence and dig the features. I go back and forth between active and passive and now try to keep both so I dont keep buying and selling lol

I have only bought one brand new pickup set in the past 5 years. I do miss the 21 day trial with new purchases.

Comment

Working...
              X