Pots and caps for P90s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pots and caps for P90s?

Planning SD Vintage P90s, i.e. regular P90 soapbars, neck and bridge,in a thinline DIY. Two volumes, two tones, 3-way Switchcraft switch plus possibly push-pulls for pickups in series and / or phase shifting (full or half out of phase, yet to be decided).

What values for the pots and caps?

Thanks.

For me, I like 500K all around with P90's and a .022uf tone cap. Pretty standard. However, I've been using 250K tones lately. If you find them too bright when you get everything situated, toss a 470K resistor across the outer lugs of the tone put to bring it down close to 250K, or just roll the tone back. Either way.

Comment

^ Thanks!

Thinking out loud I could use 500k push-pulls for the tones with the P-Ps used to bring in the 470k resistor. Might be fun.

Comment

I always use 500k vol and tone pots with P-90s. And I usually use .022uf caps (sometimes .015uf).
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
          I always use 500k vol and tone pots with P-90s. And I usually use .022uf caps (sometimes .015uf).
          This is what I've used, too. And I use those pots a lot!
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

500k and 22nF are the usual recipe with high inductance PU's like P90's.

Now, some guitars are brighter sounding because of their scale + materials and they might require something else: .I've used a 500k volume and a 250k tone pot + a 47nF cap in such cases.

That said and as explained above, a 500k pot can be converted to a 250k thanks to a resistor (Bill Lawrence was doing that all the time).

Same thing for caps,BTW: two 22nF in parallel = 44nF, two 47nF in series = 23.5nF, a 47nF and a 22nF in series = 14.98nF... So many things can be done with a few components, finally. :-)
            Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Working...
            X