Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• warm, middy humbuckers for a semi-hollow

Hello,

It’s been ages since I’ve looked into aftermarket pickups!

I have a '15 Ibanez AS-73 semi-hollow, which is 24.75" scale with a maple laminate body, mahogany neck, and rosewood fingerboard. The pickups are "Classic Elites," which the Ibanez wiki tells me have ceramic magnets with 9.5K/11.0K DC resistance on the neck and bridge, respectively. They have wayyy too much bass for my taste. I think they might be a little too hot for me, too, but it’s hard to tell because the bass bloats up input gain really easily. I’m toying around with pickup height, which is helping a little bit, but I get the feeling I’m fighting against the way these pickups are voiced.

This guitar doesn’t get a ton of use—I mainly use a guitar with Filtertrons and a guitar with P-90s. But now and again I like a middy, creamy, thick sound. I only play and record at home, so I don’t need this guitar to be versatile or overlap my main two guitars in any way. I just want it to be distinct from my my main two guitars by excelling at humbuckerism.

I was looking at Alnico 2-based humbuckers, since I don’t need mega fat bass or crispy, bright treble, and I’ve heard these magnets have complex midrange tones. I excluded the Antiquity (out of my budget), the Duality (don’t want active preamp), Stag Mag (don’t want coil split), and Phat Cat (don’t want to approximate a P-90) and now have this list:

Seth Lover (SH-55)
    Pearly Gates (SH-PG1)
    Alnico 2 Pro (APH-1)
    Slash Alnico 2 Pro (APH-2)
    Custom Custom (SH-11)

While the Custom Custom seems to be the hottest, middiest outlier, I’m not sure how to compare the other four. How do they line up to one another in terms of EQ and output response?

Also happy to consider anything not on this list.

seth lovers in a hollow body are usually a winning combo but they are paf type pups so might not be middy enough for what you want?

Comment

Seths sound great in a semi-hollow, and are middy. But they're bright humbuckers . . . you'll need to use the tone knob to get them to sound "warm". If you have a .022 cap, they're very versatile tone-wise.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

If your stock pickups are too hot, then the Custom will be moreso.

The A2pro would be the winner in my book for warm and middy from your list.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
          If your stock pickups are too hot, then the Custom will be moreso.

The A2pro would be the winner in my book for warm and middy from your list.
          This would be my recommendation as well. They are relatively inexpensive, too, so that is a plus.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Dimarzio 36th work well too.

Comment

I'm no stranger to a tone knob and love to roll it off to get dark, mellow sounds from the neck pickup or vocal, peaky sounds from the bridge pickup. I'd love humbuckers that play along nicely with tone knobs. I probably should have mentioned that haha!

Come to think of it, I had a 36th in the bridge position of a Strat a few years ago. That was a great pickup.

The shortlist is now:

Seth Lover SH-55
              Alnico 2 Pro APH-1
              Dimarzio PAF 36th

Comment

Keep in mind that the Seths have sort of an upper mid honky thing going on. In a good way, but it isn't the same mids as the Alnico II Pro, which is shifted a little lower. Seths are not potted, which is great for dynamic styles, but not great for a lot of volume and preamp gain.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

It's worth your time looking into the low gain Dimarzio Pickups. There are some excellent pickups in that group. Here are two sets that might work for you.
                  I've got both sets in SG Standards and really enjoy them. The PAF Master set has an A5 in the neck and a A4 in the bridge.

DMZ 36 Anniversary set
                  DMZ PAF Master Set
                  That is not dead which can eternal lie,
                  And with strange aeons even death may die.

Comment

I have a set of Antiquities in my AS73.... No lack of mids.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HJnTTD0.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	6159683

aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Yah, the Antiquities have even more honk that Seths, I think. But they're expensive.
                      Maybe a used set of Ants could be an option?

Still, when I think heavy mids, I think DiMarzio - some of them sound like a cocked wah.
                      Back in the 70s, Larry's PAF model was extremely honky & snarly.
                      I agree the 36th Anni might be the best fit out of the current lineup.
                      There are others with even stronger mids but they aren't vintage output.
                      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Thanks for the info, everyone! I like a honky upper midrange, Mincer

I felt like I hadn't done my full due diligence, so I put new strings on the guitar, re-adjusted the pickup heights, and tried different amps to be certain the problem couldn't be solved with the basics. I have reconfirmed that the pickups are indeed just way too bassy and dark.

BUT, surprisingly, when I was A/B/C'ing directly to my main guitars today, the stock pickups are not as high output as I thought of them as. A smidge of a gain boost, and not unpleasant. In light of this, maybe I could even add the 59/Custom (SH-16) bridge to the mix. That model seems to have a really interesting midrange going on. Maybe a medium-hot bridge pickup could give me that focused, muscular rock sound that humbuckers excel at. I could then put one of these vintage output humbuckers in the neck so that I can get gooey, smokey jazz rhythm sounds too. Those are the two main humbucker sounds I like, which I sometimes struggle to get on my other guitars.

Haha I should probably be narrowing down my options instead of expanding them, but I'm just trying to keep the main point of the pickup swap in mind, i.e. getting ones that do what my Filtertrons and P-90s can't do.

Comment

I spent some time listening to videos of people comparing Seth Lovers and Antiquities and I decided I like the Seth Lovers better. It was a little tougher finding direct comparisons of the Seth Lovers and A2Ps though.

Condemned soul I also spent a bit doing the same for the Dimarzio 36th and Master PAFs, but would love to hear your thoughts comparing the two!

Gonna scratch the SH-16 other medium-output pickups off my list just to make decision-making easier.

Comment

haha well my journey has taken me full circle and I've come to accept the stock pickups for what they are. There is definitely room for improvement, but it's close enough, and I don't use/like this guitar enough to really justify it. Just wanted to thank you all for your help! Thanks!

Comment

If you found a comparison of the A2Ps vs Seths could you share pls?

I haven't heard the alnico2s for comparison but really like the Seths in an LP style guitar I have (it's not hollow).

If you're certain you're sticking with the same pickups it may be worth your while buying a few Alnico bar magnets (eg. A4, A2) and try replacing the ceramics. That should presumably add mids. I'm not sure how they would affect the bass - someone else will surely have an idea though.

I would also assume it would be way easier than replacing pups in a semi-hollow guitar too.

Comment

Working...
                              X