Pickups for Wolfgang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickups for Wolfgang

i was wondering if anyone had any experiences with SD pickups in a wolfgang. i play les pauls mainly and haven't played my wolfie in a few years and i was wanting to start playing it some but i'm not into the hight output screamin thing that much anymore. i still want to rock tho'. i was wondering what pickups some of you have tried and which ones you prefer for a wolfgang.

i tried the "wizard" and it suggested the parallel axis/jazz and the tremC5/59' combo. the parallel axis looks alright but i don't like the way the pole pieces are. i want more of a traditional look and i also want to get zebra/reverse zebra also.

thanks for any help

btw, how do you get the pickup height right for wolfgangs being that they are mounted to the body?
    Last edited by bognerboy; 05-21-2004, 10:01 PM.

Re: Pickups for Wolfgang

I've tried lots of pickups in mine, and the combination that worked best for me was the Blues Trembucker bridge/Alnico II Pro neck. The Blues Trembucker is a medium output pickup with a very balanced EQ and more warmth than the stock pickups. It's a very versatile pickup that can cover anything from old Van Halen to AC/DC to ZZ Top, to all-out metal with the right amp. The Alnico II Pro is my favorite neck pickup of all time, it's very warm and smooth with great sustain. Sounds very nice in a Wolfgang.

I haven't found the pickup height to be a problem. I just mount them directly to the body, then tweak the polepieces until it's just right. Keep in mind that the guitar was designed to have the optimal pickup height without any type of height adjustment capability. I've tried lots of pickups in mine, and I've never had to adjust the pickup height. You could always shim the pickups if you needed to, but it shouldn't be a problem.

Because Duncan pickups have square-shaped mounting tabs, and the Wolfgang is routed for oval-shaped mounting tabs, you'll need to grind them down into an oval shape to get the Duncans to fit. I also recommend enlarging the mounting holes by a very small amount and using the stock Wolfgang pickup screws. The Duncan screws are too long to fit in the Wolfgang routes, so it's easiest to just use the Wolfgang screws.

Ryan
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

I use foam under mine, makes adjustment easy.

Comment

Hi There,

A slightly random reply:

If anyone is interested in selling their Peavey Wolfgang pickups...please email me: [email protected]!!

Ive been looking to buy some for ages...and seeing as people here seem to be replacing them...this post might help me!!

Ben Thompson...

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick
          Hi There,

A slightly random reply:

If anyone is interested in selling their Peavey Wolfgang pickups...please email me: [email protected]!!

Ive been looking to buy some for ages...and seeing as people here seem to be replacing them...this post might help me!!

Ben Thompson...
          Check over at the Peavey guitar forum site. There was a guy over there a few days ago selling a pair for $100.
          Not a 5150 Kramer, but a 5149 1/2 Shamer
          www.bigmouthbetty.com

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick
            Hi There,

A slightly random reply:

Ben Thompson...
            i am! right here
            https://forum.seymourduncan.com/showthread.php?t=6330

Comment

Working...
            X