No announcement yet.

Rail Humbuckers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traditional single coil tones by splitting the coils. That’s how I read it, but the order of humbucker and single coil should be reversed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Teleplayer View Post

While I like the Coolrails as a neck humbucker, I didn't find the coil-split to be particularly useful. It's quite far from "bell-like tones of traditional single coil pickups". With the coolrails it gives a weak and thin coil split tone. From testing, I measured a large change in the inductance value when coil split is used. Full size humbuckers normally don't loose as much output when using the coil split.

Duncan Coolrails Neck (2018 production)
      * North Coil R=4.858k, L=2.61H
      * South Coil R=4.919k, L=2.63H
      * Humbucker Series R=9.777k, L=6.99H

It occurred to me the P-rails pickup might work better than the single size humbucker, due to the larger size. It could allow each coil to perform more independently if the coils are not closely coupled.
      In my option no humbucker sounds good as a single coil. You get a brighter tone, but it’s weak. It was not designed for that. Some very hot humbuckers work better, but you wouldn’t put those in the neck position.

I’ve always favored series/parallel switching. I don’t use actual single coils in any of my 10 guitars. I hate hum. I’m also not trying to get standard Strat tones. I think that’s kind of over used. Everyone tries to get the same tones these days. Therefore everyone sounds the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Are we really splitting hairs about splitting coils?

Comment

Some humbuckers split better than others. IMO its hard to generalise. It seems to depends on many things. One major issue is having an appropriate wind. You can measure the inductance of a coil-split humbucker with a LCR meter, so it's possible to test that aspect without trying every possible pickup in the guitar.

Full size humbuckers tend to split better IMO. I found there is a difference in tone between each of the poles. That part needs to be tested as trial and error.

Comment

See, I never liked series/parallel switching. Doesn’t sound nearly as good to me as some split humbuckers.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by freefrog View Post

Not sure it's interesting but here we go... Rusty strings included.

Click image for larger version

Name:	VaxIn22.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	6166997
              That looks exactly like the Variax I own. I bought it when they first came out many years ago. I don't remember the model number, but it was the first one they made...would mine be the 500?
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

That looks exactly like the Variax I own. I bought it when they first came out many years ago. I don't remember the model number, but it was the first one they made...would mine be the 500?
                Yes! They named "500" the first Variax models when they released the 700, then the 300 and 600... :-)

I've used my ol' 500 a few minutes ago. It still works but I must admit that I expect it to fail each time I plug it, knowing how many times it has been played since 2003... With its added GK3 and mag pickups, it was and remains a really handy tool for the various musical projects in which I've been involved.
                Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Well, now I need to dust off my old Variax and put it through its paces again. See what I think about it. I remember when I first got it I played it a lot...it was my main guitar. I loved the 12 string acoustic sounds.
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Yep, 12 strings Variax models are really nice, as are the other acoustic and semi-hollow emulations, IMHO. I"ve used these tones dozens of times in various situations.
                    It's only with the solid body Variax clones that I've mixed feelings since day one : I prefer Roland modeling for purely electric sounds - or real magnetic pickups. That's why I've modified mine and IMHO, it's probably why 2d gen Tyler Variax models were designed with onboard magnetic transducers...
                    Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Originally posted by freefrog View Post
                      Yep, 12 strings Variax models are really nice, as are the other acoustic and semi-hollow emulations, IMHO. I"ve used these tones dozens of times in various situations.
                      It's only with the solid body Variax clones that I've mixed feelings since day one : I prefer Roland modeling for purely electric sounds - or real magnetic pickups. That's why I've modified mine and IMHO, it's probably why 2d gen Tyler Variax models were designed with onboard magnetic transducers...
                      I have a Variax Acoustic, and the 12 strings are exceptional. Actually all of the models are really great.

Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                      X