• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jazz
    PATB-1
    AII Pro (Slash or original)
    Pearly Gates

Lots of Screamin' Demon's listed. I gotta try one soon.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
      Jazz
      PATB-1
      AII Pro (Slash or original)
      Pearly Gates

Lots of Screamin' Demon's listed. I gotta try one soon.
      Definitely try it.
      Jazz and Demon are by far my favorite neck pups.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

Definitely try it.
        Jazz and Demon are by far my favorite neck pups.
        I have the "Lil" version. I wonder how far off it is from the full size unit?

Comment

Dimarzio bluesbucker
          Dimarzio PAF 36th Anny
          Bare Knuckle Rebel Yell
          Fokin Rocket Queen

Comment

Exact order depends on the guitar, song, my mood, phase of the moon and quantity of tequila consumed
            Full shred
            Jazz
            Sentient
            57 classic (for the split tone)
            Burst Bucker 1

Comment

So far its been Jazz, screaming demon mini in a strat and an unknown chinese pickup in my lp copy, I cant complain too much about the p-90 in my Tagima either.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

I have the "Lil" version. I wonder how far off it is from the full size unit?
                It's been my experience that the Lil versions are not as bright and clear as their full-sized versions.
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

For a neck pickup, it is important to me that it isn't too hot, as I need the touch sensitivity. EQ depends on what the guitar needs, though.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    For a neck pickup, it is important to me that it isn't too hot, as I need the touch sensitivity. EQ depends on what the guitar needs, though.
                    I found the Screamin' Demon to be touch sensitive and hotter than a standard neck humbucker, but the way it' Eq'ed , it' like a Swiss army knife of pickups.

It blends well with vintage toned single coil S, S, H configured guitars.

And it's a ballsy neck pickup, in either 22 fret or 24 fret guitars.
                    And when you split it, it's dead on like a classic single coil in the neck position.
                    Last edited by maug2122; 06-02-2022, 07:35 PM.

Comment

For me, I like my neck pickups to balance with my bridge pickups. I like PAF's just fine, I just hate how they match to any mid/high output bridge pickup. In all honesty, I like neck pickups in context of what bridge pickup they're matched with. For me, they're more of a compliment to my bridge pickup, rather than a standalone tone.

So for me, it would have to be:

Seymour Duncan Black Winter Neck: Nice and powerful. It's the only passive that I've found has enough juice to match well with my favorite passive, the BW Bridge. It's not as bright and open as PAF-types, but it's not dark and muddy either. Much less scooped and plinky too. Splits much better than PAF-types, too. Much less anemic.

EMG 60: I like the 85 as well, but the 60 just has a nicer chime when clean. The 85 has a cool lead tone higher up the fretboard, but I don't really like how it responds to the low strings.

Fishman Fluence Alnico: Clearer and tighter than the 85, while still maintaining girth and balance with the bridge pickup. Sorta like a less twangy 60 but fuller like an 85 with more string clarity than either, and the added bonus of an added fat passive voicing.

DiMarzio PAF 36th Anniversary: I know I said I didn't like how PAF types matched with hot bridge pickups (which is what I normally use), but I do like me some PAF goodness occasionally in the bridge. The 36th Anni is the only PAF I've found that's round and fat and not plinky at all while still being clear. I find it's too weak output-wise for most of my applications, but with the right bridge pickup (like the '59B, which I also like a lot), it's just the perfect vintage-y voiced neck pickup, IMO.

That's it. I honestly can't name a 5th neck pickup that I like, LOL. I'm not much of a neck pickup guy, TBH.

Comment

Duncans only?

Antiquity P-90
                        Vintage Mini SM-1
                        Phat Cat
                        Screamin' Demon
                        Classic Stack Plus

Comment

Taking a stab at it with pickups I currently own in no particular order...

SH-2n Jazz
                          SCR-1n Cool Rails
                          SSL-2 Vintage Flat
                          SM-1n Vintage Mini Humbucker
                          SH-18n Whole Lotta Humbucker
                          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

In a no particular order:
                            1. Pearly gates
                            2. Dimarzio DP103 (the original one)
                            3. 59A4
                            4. Black winter neck
                            5. Prs 85/15 s

Comment

Working...
                            X