Strat Bridge Single-coil Options - 60s Tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strat Bridge Single-coil Options - 60s Tone

I'm debating on whether to swap out the bridge single-coil of my Squier Classic Vibe 60's Strat for something with a little more beef and not as bright. Mine has the Fender Designed Alnico V pickups in it (all of the CV guitars do as of 2018-2019). I had thought of slapping a whole set of Tonerider Classic Blues in there. I checked out a few noiseless options. In the end, I think I want to stick with a true single-coil. I like the neck and middle pickups. The bridge just needs a little more. I do not want SSL-5/6 levels or hotter, not even a QP.

Looking at options in the SD catalog, the Antiquity II or the Antiquity Texas Hot seem to be the most logical choices. Might be a bit much cost wise for a CV but at the same time, it's not an Affinity and much nicer quality. Maybe the Fender Tex-Mex bridge?

Any other slightly hotter than vintage recommended options?

The SSL-1 comes in at 6.5 kohm.

The SSL-5 at 13.3 kohm, so quite a jump.

The Antquity Texas Hot comes in at 9.8 kohm, but Alnico-2 magnets. Might be a good halfway between the SSL-1 and the SSL-5, however.

Comment

The Antiquity II bridge is 9.8k with Alnico 5 magnets.

Comment

You might consider a Rio Grande Muy Grande. It looks like a QP but it's around 8K but still very beefy sounding.

Comment

Those Antiquity IIs are remarkable sounding pickups, which are about as early 60s sounding as you can get out there.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
            The Antiquity II bridge is 9.8k with Alnico 5 magnets.
            Surfer II bridge is a great pickup, some extra body but not overwound/compressed sounding.

A couple of non-Duncans that fit in the same category:

Zhangbucker Paul Bunyan Strat, fabulous and one of my favorites - ten feet tall, still 100% Strat.
            Rio Grande Muy Grande - another good one, beefier than stock yet quite Stratlike.
            D. Allen "Echoes" bridge - strong & sweet and also tapped, for better position 2 quack and/or low output sound when desired

Also consider the Pinktone bridge from Onamac Windery - good muscular Strat tone, and more affordable than any of the above options.
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Nice options. This says it all that I am after, "some extra body but not overwound/compressed sounding".

I forgot about Lollar. He has a Special S Strat bridge that is 7.6k and sounds fantastic!

Comment

The stock Fender designed CV pickups have what I would call a "modern" stagger. The E, A, B, E string poles are all flat but the D and G strings are slightly raised and at the same level. Not that it matters what I go with in the bridge. I thought it was interesting to see a stagger like that.
                Last edited by ErikH; 05-05-2022, 09:08 AM.

Comment

I think the STK-S7 Vintage Hot Stack might be what you're looking for. It's a little bit (not a ton) beefier than an SSL-1 and noise cancelling for when you want to add some extra gain, and is lower output than an SSL-5. Also noise cancelling, which is always nice for the bridge when you stomp on the gain pedals.
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                    I think the STK-S7 Vintage Hot Stack might be what you're looking for. It's a little bit (not a ton) beefier than an SSL-1 and noise cancelling for when you want to add some extra gain, and is lower output than an SSL-5. Also noise cancelling, which is always nice for the bridge when you stomp on the gain pedals.
                    ^^^ +1
                    “The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.” - Edward Van Halen

Comment

The Vintage Hot Stack does 'feel' different, as the hotter output starts to compress a little bit. If someone is parting out a Jimi Hendrix set, you might be able to snag one. It is a great late 60s sound.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I'm debating on whether to swap out the bridge single-coil of my Squier Classic Vibe 60's Strat for something with a little more beef and not as bright. Mine has the Fender Designed Alnico V pickups in it (all of the CV guitars do as of 2018-2019). I had thought of slapping a whole set of Tonerider Classic Blues in there. I checked out a few noiseless options. In the end, I think I want to stick with a true single-coil. I like the neck and middle pickups. The bridge just needs a little more. I do not want SSL-5/6 levels or hotter, not even a QP.

Looking at options in the SD catalog, the Antiquity II or the Antiquity Texas Hot seem to be the most logical choices. Might be a bit much cost wise for a CV but at the same time, it's not an Affinity and much nicer quality. Maybe the Fender Tex-Mex bridge?

Any other slightly hotter than vintage recommended options?
                        I find the TexMex set the perfect "hotness" for a hot traditional strat. I did put a Callaham baseplate on the bridge before I tried it out, so I'm not sure how they would have sounded without it.

Maybe you could try a baseplate on your current bridge pickup? I just bought 4 on ebay for $19 shipped after taxes.

Comment

...something with a little more beef and not as bright. ... The bridge just needs a little more. I do not want SSL-5/6 levels or hotter, not even a QP.
                          The one I have most experience with is the Antiquity I Texas Hot. It's got some drive to it, less bright than typical Stratty pickups, but still mixes perfectly with real vintage Strat pickups (I mean, real vintage - e.g. I have it in my 1966 Strat and it matched perfectly, it's the pickup that made me a Duncan-aholic ever since the 90's). It can almost sound Tele-ish/humbuckery through the right amp also.

Comment

Some great suggestions. After playing it tonight at worship rehearsal for the first time in a while, I think I may be looking at replacing the whole set. I even have a .1uf tone cap and they can still get a little too bitey. Yes, 250k pots throughout, CTS brand that I put in last year.

Comment

Be sure to check out Fender PV 65’s - great sounding set

Klein Epic 65 set - a few notches “better” than the PV 65 set - high end

but honestly, NOTHING beats the SSL 1 set I love a SSL 1 / 1 / 5 set up. Just can’t be beat.

Comment

Working...
                              X