Tweaking my Screamin’ Demon Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tweaking my Screamin’ Demon Questions

Recently completed my first dive into the strat HSS rabbit hole with the Screamin’ Demon Trembucker and used my stock 2001 AM Strat single coils. Now that I'm committed I'm considering upgrading my neck and middle pups (just wanted to see if I could pull off the humbucker first).

1. Any good recommendations to match neck and middle with the Screamin’ Demon? Should I use the output as a guide. My stock pups are mid 5.74k and neck 5.93k. Is there a sweet spot range + or - that should be considered?

2. My Screamin’ Demon reads out 10.2k. It is listed at 10.9k. Is that reasonable (did I mess something up)?

3. Does the volume pot 250k vs. 500k make much difference? While I'll upgrading my neck and middle, should I make it so they see 250k on the volume?

4. My coil split uses the North/Inner Coil, does matter?

I'm using the Freeway 10 switch with a 500k volume pot, 250k Tone for neck and middle and 500k tone for Trembucker.

Originally posted by HSSdave View Post
    Recently completed my first dive into the strat HSS rabbit hole with the Screamin’ Demon Trembucker and used my stock 2001 AM Strat single coils. Now that I'm committed I'm considering upgrading my neck and middle pups (just wanted to see if I could pull off the humbucker first).

1. Any good recommendations to match neck and middle with the Screamin’ Demon? Should I use the output as a guide. My stock pups are mid 5.74k and neck 5.93k. Is there a sweet spot range + or - that should be considered?

2. My Screamin’ Demon reads out 10.2k. It is listed at 10.9k. Is that reasonable (did I mess something up)?

3. Does the volume pot 250k vs. 500k make much difference? While I'll upgrading my neck and middle, should I make it so they see 250k on the volume?

I'm using the Freeway 10 switch with a 500k volume pot, 250k Tone for neck and middle and 500k tone for Trembucker.
    1. I'm not an expert with the Demon, so I'll leave #1 to someone who knows it a bit better than I do.
    2. It's probably fine. DC resistance can vary as a function of temperature, and it may also be due to tolerances or calibration of your meter. For example I have a cheap meter that reads pickups about 0.4K low, while my Fluke 107 is a lot more accurate.
    3. It's a matter of taste. You'll lose a little bit of output and treble with a 250K pot, while 500K is often too bright for single coils. Some makers (Suhr for example) wire a resistor in parallel as you're suggesting so the humbucker(s) see 500K while single(s) see 250K.
    4. You can use both, but you'll get the loudest, strongest signal from the coil farthest from the bridge.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

In terms of balance, the Demon will do just fine with any vintage output singles.

Dystrust is right, temperature affects the DCR reading and various meters can read differently. Wire varies a bit, too.
      Since pickups are wound by the number of turns, DCRs on the same model will vary from one spool of wire to the next.

As for 250K vs 500, that depends on what you're looking for, and to a lesser extent the natural voice of the individual guitar.
      Some are brighter than others. But 500K is standard for most humbuckers, and there's good reason for that.
      Bear in mind that your singles are brighter than a humbucker to begin with. 250k will darken the hum and increase that disparity.

Then again, lots of guys go with 250K for a bright hum like a JB in Strat.
      The Demon is fairly bright in character too, though not like a JB of course.

Also, some players like to have extra contrast when they switch from the singlecoils to the hum. Going from sparkle to warmth.
      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Just use output/ear

No just normal variation. Ignore.

Yes - if you find the Demon has too much bite, roll with 250 instead.

No - but closer/further from the bridge will sound a little different.

Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

@dytrust, eclecticsynergy and Aceman - thanks.

Aceman - re: Pots - I'm good with the Demon and am more concerned with having the single coils see 250k. Will probably try a resistor or the Fender dual pot.

I'm liking Antiquity II Surfer or Alnico 2 Pro for neck and middle (maybe mix).

Comment

What do you like in neck pickups? Do you like a classic Strat tone? Do you want them to be noiseless? Is output balance more important than tone? Do you intend to split the Demon in conjunction with the middle pickup? I wire my HSS with 500k vol, 250k tone for the 2 singles, and 500k tone for the bridge.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by HSSdave View Post
              @dytrust, eclecticsynergy and Aceman - thanks.

Aceman - re: Pots - I'm good with the Demon and am more concerned with having the single coils see 250k. Will probably try a resistor or the Fender dual pot.

I'm liking Antiquity II Surfer or Alnico 2 Pro for neck and middle (maybe mix).
              Surfers are great pickups. Haven't tried the A2P singles.
              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Mincer , yes, I like/prefer the classic Strat tone and I too have a 500k vol, 250k tone for the 2 single coils and a 500k tone for the bridge. Just cause I can't help myself I have a 10 way switch so yes on the split with middle along with the other combinations. I'm also using the TH-U amp sym with a bazillion options. I can get some pretty enjoyable sounds (at least to me). For example I feel like I can dial in something pretty good on the neck, but when I switch back to the Demon it just sounds better with more sparkle and is noticeable enough for me to start this thread.

Comment

No, you don‘t need a dual pot. The pickups just need to see 500k or 250 to ground. This is made with one 500k pot and an additional 470k resistor.
                  BTW: The white/red connection to the switch splits the humbucker to the middle in the 2nd position. This is optional.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by hamerfan; 05-12-2022, 01:56 AM.
                  I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

I've been using the Screamin Demon for years.

- If you want noiseless, you can't beat the Classic Stack Plus in the neck and middle.

- Normal variation. Nothing to worry about.

- As mentioned, 250K will roll off some highs. Now, with the Demon, it likes both 250k and 500k. I've run it both ways. With the Classic Stack Plus in the neck and middle, you can do the resistor thing above or just run a 500k volume and 250k tone. I do that with an HSS setup. The Classic Stack Pluses aren't too bright with it that way in my setup.

- That's the normal split. Splitting to the outter coil will yield a brighter tone based off it's position to the bridge.

Comment

hamerfan thanks - re: the 470k resistor, just wondering if it's worth doing and I'll probably just keep the 500k vol. (without resistor), 250k single coil tone and 500k Demon tone.

ErikH - Much appreciated and The Classic Stack Plus looks like a great match - listening to the samples again.

Comment

I am a huge Classic Stack Plus fan, and I have one on my HSS setup. It really nails the quacky Strat thing, with absolutely no noise. It blends well output-wise with most humbuckers as long as they aren't too hot. If the guitar had a JB or Invader, I might choose something else. I use mine with a 69/Custom Hybrid, and the output is perfectly matched.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

IMO for most noiseless Strat pickups, 500K volume probably is preferable to the resistor-added wiring.
                          They tend to have a hair less of the very high highs than true singles - just enough not to require 250K.

You can always roll off a bit of treble if you want, but you can't add what isn't there to begin with.

With the Surfers, though, I'd definitely go 250K.

Comment

Appreciate the responsiveness of the forum. Will probably go noiseless even though I flip flop every 15 minutes.

A couple of new questions. Didn't think I should start a new thread - please advise if not following appropriate etiquette.

1. Does it matter where I purchase SD items? For my Demon I ordered direct on the SD website (with 2 500k pots).

2. On my Strat installation, I needed to cut down the screws and use springs from a couple of old pens. Are there screws and springs available somewhere sized for Strats, what is the common practice?

3. My guess is that the screw and spring issue is just on the Humbucker/Trembucker pups. Would single coils from the Strat category will come with the appropriate sized items?

Comment

I went with the Screamin' Demon in the bridge and Classic Stack Plus (noiseless) single coils in the middle and neck for an HSS guitar I bought last year, after getting some great advice from the forum gurus. I am so happy with the choice. The Demon does everything I want in the bridge, and blends well with the Classic Stacks. The neck Stack is pure bliss, such a smooth, glassy, open tone.

Comment

Working...
                              X