banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Strat pickups to complement Custom Trembucker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Strat pickups to complement Custom Trembucker?

Just picked up (pun intended) a Custom Trembucker and would like to tap the vast experience of SD users to recommend neck & middle pickups that best complement the CT. Thank you all in advance!

There are a lot of great choices. It’ll depend a lot on what kind of vibe you’re after. A nice vintage flare? A blazing humbucker the size of a single? Something in between?

Comment

What's more important...volume balance with the Custom or traditional Strat sound. Is noiselessness important? What do you use the neck and middle for?
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

What Mincer said. For the traditional Strat sound you need to split the Custom with a additional switch or with an autosplit wiring in the 2nd position of a 5 way switch.
        I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

For my needs I'd go with a Lil59, with a series/parallel optiin when using a push-pull pot. In parallel it gets beefier tone than a true single coil or split, but still noiseless.
          Got it wired like that in my ESP LTD MH-1000HS, which has a Custom 5 in the bridge. The C5's output is about the same as the Custom, and when in series the Lil59 keeps up fine.
          Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Originally posted by GuiTim3 View Post
            Just picked up (pun intended) a Custom Trembucker and would like to tap the vast experience of SD users to recommend neck & middle pickups that best complement the CT. Thank you all in advance!
            SSL6. They're slightly overwound, so they'll keep up better with the trembucker. But they're still very much a traditional Strat sound. And IMO the notch tones (positions 2 & 4) benefit from greatly from having slightly overwound pickups in the neck and middle - it just gives those positions a tiny bit of extra beef and makes them more usable in more musical situations while still retaining the recognizable Strat sound.
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
            http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Following.

Comment

Working...
              X