banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SD version of Dimarzio ProTrack DP188..or similar

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Dang! Sorry guys. I can't edit that photo size after posting, with this "new" software.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by andyg_prs View Post

      because they need to build me one without a flange and I’ve been waiting over a year…
      They make both emg style and standard strat.

      Did you call dimarzio direct? They will get you what you want in less than 3 weeks, provided you are in the USA.

      I got a custom colored set of breeds (discontinued but available upon request) in less than 2 weeks from order to doorstep.

      Comment


      • #18
        If clearance for the wires is a problem, it should be possible to Dremel out a slot in the wall of the pickup routs.
        Just enough to make them fit.
        .
        "Brains have been washed. Fear has been mongered. Now we prepare for the final stage of our conspiracy theory." - Isle Of Dogs

        .

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Juanhanglo View Post

          They make both emg style and standard strat.

          Did you call dimarzio direct? They will get you what you want in less than 3 weeks, provided you are in the USA.

          I got a custom colored set of breeds (discontinued but available upon request) in less than 2 weeks from order to doorstep.
          No, I’m in the uk and going via their official distributor. I tried emailing Dimarzio direct to understand the delay and got no response.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by andyg_prs View Post

            No, I’m in the uk and going via their official distributor. I tried emailing Dimarzio direct to understand the delay and got no response.
            That stinks. Do you try calling them? Or multiple emails?

            I know they have only a 2 to 3 week turn around time for something like this. The delay is most likely the distributor.

            Try banjomikez. He operates through ebay and reverb. He can get stuff in 3 to 4 weeks and possibly ship out. I am not sure if his operation does worldwide shipping, but i dont see why not

            Comment


            • #21
              Hi guys, changing strings for a gig, finally got a chance to remove the pickup. I've done a drawing (not to scale) for the route along with a pic.

              Essentially the main route is 16mm deep, but a pickup can only be "sunk in" about 10mm deep as it has ears that are not routed as deep at either side.

              To deal with the challenge of wire routing there is a thin channel at the centre of the route that is about 4mm deep.

              The pictures don't do things justice but everything is beautifully finished which makes me less inclined to route any deeper.

              The current pickup probably extends to about 8mm beyond the surface of the body route with perhaps 2mm more for the tallest pole piece.

              If I look up the lil '59 it says it is 0.85" which converts to 21.59mm. So that is 11.59mm above the surface of the body....or roughly 2mm more than the current pickup. There's plenty of string clearance....I guess I won't know till I try.

              As an aside, in the past I have done partial coil taps on humbuckers whereby rather than sending a complete coil to ground I've put a resistor in series to only shunt part of that coil to ground. No idea what would happen to the pickup characteristic if I were to do the same for the main output from the pickup.....I'd obviously rather not have to start doing all of that.

              Another question is, what is the lowest output single coil sized humbucker that SD do?Click image for larger version

Name:	Vigier guitar route.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	6177404
              Click image for larger version

Name:	vigier route.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	6177405
              Thanks,
              Andy

              PS - the max length and width of the lil '59 are right on the cusp of what might or might not fit into the route too!

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by andyg_prs View Post

                Another question is, what is the lowest output single coil sized humbucker that SD do?[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"Vigier guitar route.jpg","data-
                Most likely, the Duckbucker and/or Vintage Rails.

                Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

                Comment


                • #23
                  Cool rails will be close, but probably not fit without modifying the guitar route IMO.

                  Attached Files

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by andyg_prs View Post
                    Hi guys, changing strings for a gig, finally got a chance to remove the pickup. I've done a drawing (not to scale) for the route along with a pic.

                    Essentially the main route is 16mm deep, but a pickup can only be "sunk in" about 10mm deep as it has ears that are not routed as deep at either side.

                    To deal with the challenge of wire routing there is a thin channel at the centre of the route that is about 4mm deep.

                    The pictures don't do things justice but everything is beautifully finished which makes me less inclined to route any deeper.

                    The current pickup probably extends to about 8mm beyond the surface of the body route with perhaps 2mm more for the tallest pole piece.

                    If I look up the lil '59 it says it is 0.85" which converts to 21.59mm. So that is 11.59mm above the surface of the body....or roughly 2mm more than the current pickup. There's plenty of string clearance....I guess I won't know till I try.

                    As an aside, in the past I have done partial coil taps on humbuckers whereby rather than sending a complete coil to ground I've put a resistor in series to only shunt part of that coil to ground. No idea what would happen to the pickup characteristic if I were to do the same for the main output from the pickup.....I'd obviously rather not have to start doing all of that.

                    Another question is, what is the lowest output single coil sized humbucker that SD do?Click image for larger version

Name:	Vigier guitar route.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	6177404
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	vigier route.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	6177405
                    Thanks,
                    Andy

                    PS - the max length and width of the lil '59 are right on the cusp of what might or might not fit into the route too!
                    That's a beautiful top.

                    Another option is you could always try asking your local Duncan dealer to check how much it would cost to order a custom shop pickup specifically to fit the route. If that's an acceptable option I bet they would be able to make you something that fits perfectly with the advantage of being able to specify exactly what tones you're after too. Or the dealer themselves might be willing to let you try out some pickups and return them if they don't fit properly - especially if you bring the guitar in in person, minus the pickup in question to try it out.


                    I know in Europe that's not always a realistic option, but worth a try certainly.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      FWIW, I have a Little'59 in the neck position of my strat. Everything I've heard/read says not to split them, but I recently set up a series/parallel switch, and really like the parallel tone, not as rich as the series humbucker wiring, less overtones, but a very nice full tone, nonetheless. A buddy of mine described it as cleaner sounding.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        So I contacted SD. Interestingly they recommended the Red Devil over the Lil 59 but said if I was going custom shop that the single coil version of the Pearly Gates was a little warmer and looser sounding.

                        However, there was no suggestion that a pickup could be made any less tall, and essentially that routing a little deeper would be my option there.

                        Due to the risk factor of what might work in my guitar (unadulterated) I’ll be scanning for used SC sized humbuckers - but there doesn’t seem to be many of them out there.

                        I’ll keep trying though!

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          If the custom shop can't help, may be worth a try calling bare knuckle pickups to see if they can do something that would fit. Has the added advantage of being closer to home for you.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by andyg_prs View Post
                            So I contacted SD. Interestingly they recommended the Red Devil over the Lil 59 but said if I was going custom shop that the single coil version of the Pearly Gates was a little warmer and looser sounding.

                            However, there was no suggestion that a pickup could be made any less tall, and essentially that routing a little deeper would be my option there.

                            Due to the risk factor of what might work in my guitar (unadulterated) I’ll be scanning for used SC sized humbuckers - but there doesn’t seem to be many of them out there.

                            I’ll keep trying though!
                            Had you talked to the Custom Shop directly? They may be able to fabricate a shorter bobbin for the wind you want.
                            Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by andyg_prs View Post
                              So I contacted SD. Interestingly they recommended the Red Devil over the Lil 59 . . .
                              I hate to keep bearing bad news, but I have a set of Red Devils, (not installed yet), and they also have the wire coming straight out of the side, and because of the circuit board, zero chance of bending the cable down to get the pup to slide down into that route. Not sure how you could do it.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

                                I hate to keep bearing bad news, but I have a set of Red Devils, (not installed yet), and they also have the wire coming straight out of the side, and because of the circuit board, zero chance of bending the cable down to get the pup to slide down into that route. Not sure how you could do it.
                                Hmm, I wish I'd taken better pictures now....but from the look of the pickup that you posted earlier on in this thread, I think the additional central route would provide a path for that wire sticking out of the side....

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X