Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eclecticsynergy
    replied
    If clearance for the wires is a problem, it should be possible to Dremel out a slot in the wall of the pickup routs.
    Just enough to make them fit.

Leave a comment:

• Juanhanglo
    replied
    Originally posted by andyg_prs View Post

because they need to build me one without a flange and I’ve been waiting over a year…
    They make both emg style and standard strat.

Did you call dimarzio direct? They will get you what you want in less than 3 weeks, provided you are in the USA.

I got a custom colored set of breeds (discontinued but available upon request) in less than 2 weeks from order to doorstep.

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied
    Dang! Sorry guys. I can't edit that photo size after posting, with this "new" software.

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied

Ah, that's a pain....but the lil 59....do you know how the cable comes out of that?
    Appears to be the same. However, you could always look for a used version of either. I hate to mention that, because I may have both available and I'm not trying to sell you something.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lil_59.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	6173099

Leave a comment:

• andyg_prs
    replied
    Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
    FYI: If the flange is going to be a problem, then any of the "Rails" pups may be also. All the new ones have the cable coming out of the side at a right-angle, and it's a fairly stiff cable. I've already run into a few problems with customers guitars trying to install these into a direct mount situation. Sometimes, going as far as having to route out a channel.

Name:	Duncan_Rails_dimensions.png
Views:	451
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	6173037
    Ah, that's a pain....but the lil 59....do you know how the cable comes out of that?

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied
    FYI: If the flange is going to be a problem, then any of the "Rails" pups may be also. All the new ones have the cable coming out of the side at a right-angle, and it's a fairly stiff cable. I've already run into a few problems with customers guitars trying to install these into a direct mount situation. Sometimes, going as far as having to route out a channel.

Name:	Duncan_Rails_dimensions.png
Views:	451
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	6173037

Leave a comment:

• playas
    replied
    ...but if you go to the main Seymour Duncan site and select the product, under wiring and resources you have the option to download the dimensions sheet for each.

Leave a comment:

• playas
    replied
    I would have thought the lil '59 and the red devil would be the closest sound wise, but I haven't compared them myself and I've no idea about the dimensions.

Leave a comment:

• Teleplayer
    replied
    No lil '59 sorry. I used one in the past, but I no longer have it. DP415S could be the version without the flange. Normally code "S" is for South magnet, and "SP" is for special order.

Leave a comment:

• andyg_prs
    replied
    Originally posted by Teleplayer View Post
    I'm confused by your comments about the "Flange". The pickup you show in the diagram clearly has a flange. I am unsure how you fitted it into your guitar that is apparently NOT routed for a flange, unless it is a special ordered custom version. Apart from that, the Coolrails neck is a fairly versatile pickup that will put you into humbucker territory. However the total height of the SD coolrails is 22.5mm, vs the DP415 which is 21.0mm. I have both of them on my bench, so I just measured them from the top of the pole piece to the lowest point on the back of the pickup. Dimarzio rails pickups such as the DP188 is 23.0mm in height, so that would NOT be any easier to fit.
    Hi, I meant to show the dimensions of the pick-up ignoring the flange - sorry for the confusion. I think the best thing is for me to check the total height of my current pickup by pulling it out from the guitar.

Fo you happen to have a lil 59 to compare for total height?

Thanks
    Andy

Leave a comment:

• andyg_prs
    replied
    Originally posted by Juanhanglo View Post
    Why not just get a protrack?

The name on the pickup is less important to how it sounds.

Plus, SD and dimarzio have their own sorta signature sound and vibe, and tend tobwork better together.
    because they need to build me one without a flange and I’ve been waiting over a year…

Leave a comment:

• Teleplayer
    replied
    The important thing is, the neck position has plenty of output, the pickup is direct mounted with no ability to lower the pickup to reduce the output. So, I want to be careful for the single coil sized humbucker to not over power the other pickups.

If the information on the Dimarzio website is correct, these are the current neck pickup dimensions....but please note there is no flange cut out so the replacement has to take that into account.
    I'm confused by your comments about the "Flange". The pickup you show in the diagram clearly has a flange. I am unsure how you fitted it into your guitar that is apparently NOT routed for a flange, unless it is a special ordered custom version. Apart from that, the Coolrails neck is a fairly versatile pickup that will put you into humbucker territory. However the total height of the SD coolrails is 22.5mm, vs the DP415 which is 21.0mm. I have both of them on my bench, so I just measured them from the top of the pole piece to the lowest point on the back of the pickup. Dimarzio rails pickups such as the DP188 is 23.0mm in height, so that would NOT be any easier to fit.

Leave a comment:

• eclecticsynergy
    replied
    Generally the single size hums don't split that well, although a high output model might sound okay split.
    Many say they've had better results using this type in parallel rather than split.

Didn't realize your neck was an Area 58; I thought it was one of the Virtual line like the Virtual PAF.
    Based on those specs the Lil Demon & Cool Rails - and the Pro Track - would be loud enough to alter your balance with the bridge.

At vintage output levels the Lil 59 probably is the best choice in a Duncan.

Leave a comment:

• Juanhanglo
    replied
    Why not just get a protrack?

The name on the pickup is less important to how it sounds.

Plus, SD and dimarzio have their own sorta signature sound and vibe, and tend tobwork better together.

Leave a comment:

• andyg_prs
    replied
    Thanks Mincer and@electicsynergy. It might help more to look at the spec of the current neck pickup, the Area 58 a.k.a. the DP415.Click image for larger version

Name:	DP415 Area 58.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	6172890

Now, I really like the neck pickup......but....there are times when I miss a neck humbucker for some of my prog / prog metal band duties.

I found a thread comparing the lil '59 with the cool rails....nothing really definitive jumped out at me. I saw a video of the lil '59; how well does it split being a single coil sized humbucker? It looks like the poles are adjustable which might give me a tiny bit of pseudo control of pickup height?

The Cool Rails....again, how does that split?

How do the actual outputs compare? I do suspect that too much output is more likely than too little. If they both split, and I did find them too hot....I have had some success in the past shunting one coil to ground via a resistor....so effectively shunting only a small percentage of one coil.

Anyhow, that's a tangent....a nice vintage-y single coil sized humbucker should probably do it. And if it happens to split nicely, all the better, although I do question how well a low output humbucker of this size would split....

Thanks,
    Andy

Leave a comment:

Working...
X