banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SH-1 wiring mods - is this right for coil split/select?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SH-1 wiring mods - is this right for coil split/select?

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can double check my spaghetti..

I'm looking to modify my PRS by going to 4-conductor Seymour Duncan pickups and replacing the volume and tone with push/pull DPDT switching pots.

My goals are to have a coil split switch (humbucker/single coil) and a coil select switch (inner/outer). I don't want to remove any of the piezo electronics and don't want to drill any new holes in the guitar.

Switch A (Coil Split)
    Down: Humbucker
    Up: Single Coil

Switch B (Coil Select)
    Down: Outer
    Up: Inner

3 Specific Concerns:
    * What will the guitar sound like in humbucker mode with the inner coils selected? I'm assuming this will reverse the phase of both pickups but since the covers aren't isolated, will this cause a problem?
    * What sort of sound should I expect in single coil mode with both inner coils being used simultaneously? Seems like it should be a humbucker-type sound, which would be preferable to an out of phase single coil sound.
    * I want the guitar to function as stock with both switches down - can someone verify that this wiring will achieve that (obviously, I will test to be sure which switch pins are connected in the down position before actually wiring it up)?

Looks good to me...

Comment

Doesn't look right. You've got the hots and grounds permanently connected on the 3-way. Also, the coil select could only work if it were a 3-way on-on-on. As a push-pull on-on, you'll always either have one coil or ground out the pickups. You won't get any sound with that wiring.
      Last edited by beaubrummels; 05-14-2022, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
        Doesn't look right. You've got the hots and grounds permanently connected on the 3-way. Also, the coil select could only work if it were a 3-way on-on-on. As a push-pull on-on, you'll always either have one coil or ground out the pickups. You won't get any sound with that wiring.
        Dangit. I think you're right. I've poured over this wiring for a few days now but didn't think about the grounds being connected at the PU selector.

I searched but couldn't find it - is there a way to have the switching options I want with 2 DPDT switches? Otherwise, I guess I'll have to make a decision on whether I want inner or outer coils. Could potentially add another DPDT switch as well since there is a "blend" pot on my guitar for a piezo pickup. I don't know the specs of that pot but its possible that I could find one with a DPDT option.

Comment

It would slightly change the aesthetics, but you could just install a set of Triple Shot pickup rings…

Comment

Originally posted by 68TwinReverb View Post

Dangit. I think you're right. I've poured over this wiring for a few days now but didn't think about the grounds being connected at the PU selector.

I searched but couldn't find it - is there a way to have the switching options I want with 2 DPDT switches? Otherwise, I guess I'll have to make a decision on whether I want inner or outer coils. Could potentially add another DPDT switch as well since there is a "blend" pot on my guitar for a piezo pickup. I don't know the specs of that pot but its possible that I could find one with a DPDT option.
            I did it with just push pulls in my Jackson. I basically made the two push pulls function like a triple shot. Vol up is the slug coil, tone up is the screw coil, and both up are the coils in parallel. Both down is normal humbucking. If you look for a P-Rail drawing using push pulls without triple shots, you'll see how to do it. Works with any 4-conductor humbuckers.

Comment

Did this quik-'n-dirty:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2d1LKid.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	6173107

Comment

Since I can't edit that post, note also: you don't actually need to connect the green wires to that switch. Just take them direct to ground. Then also ground the bottom two terminals of that middle switch. Might make wiring inside the cavity easier.

Comment

Like this:

Name:	2d1LKid2.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	6173110

Comment

Dang it! Reverse the two red wires on one of the switches. Doesn't matter which. I've got bridge red/white going to neck, and vice-versa.

Comment

Not neat, but it works:

Name:	2d1LKid3.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	6173113

Comment

Thanks everyone for the help.

Unfortunately, I've discovered that one of the two circuit boards inside the guitar for the piezo system is physically in the way of the DPDT volume pot. There is a notch in the board just large enough to accommodate the stock pot but not enough space for the added depth of the DPDT switch.

Coincidentally, the high E piezo sensor in the bridge is also acting up so I'm currently debating on whether to remove the entire piezo system altogether or to trouble shoot that further. Either way, will be a giant pain getting this back together.

Comment

Cool. Hope you get it going. And don't forget that CTS makes those new low profile push-pulls. One of those might fit.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                            Cool. Hope you get it going. And don't forget that CTS makes those new low profile push-pulls. One of those might fit.
                            That's what I'm using. Still a little too big.

Comment

Since P/Ps are out, you could use a Freeway toggle switch to get those options + 2 more.

Overview of Free-Way products. Free-Way 6-position Toggle switches to suit various guitar formats including pre-wired models. Free-Way 6 & 10 position Blade Switches for S-type and T-type guitars.

Comment

Working...
                              X