Dimarzio and Duncan together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimarzio and Duncan together

Had this Santana SE for a few weeks now. For me, I’m digging the feel and vibe of it. Master vol master tone, no splitting or anything.

I have 2 other SEs and left the stock pickups in, but there was just a harshness from these stock santanas that started getting to me.

so I put a super distortion in the bridge, and a Duncan 59 in the neck. This is now my 2nd guitar with that pairing and I like the way they work together. The super D is fat and full sounding. I set the amp up so it’s just right. Then when I flip to the 59 neck it is smooth and bassy, great for that type of neck vibe. Like I can flip from ace’s Alive 1 sound to a Sweet Child kind of vibe at the flick of a switch.

for anyone interested, I used the appropriate hot and ground on each pickup, and there are no problems or mismatches of phase or polarity.
    Attached Files

Nice. I like the zebra neck with the black bridge.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
      Nice. I like the zebra neck with the black bridge.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
      Thanks. The color and flame reminded me of the original Gary Moore dig Les Paul, so I got the idea from that. Here’s a better long shot.

Comment

Wasnt creme/black Zebra a Dimarzio trademark or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post
          Wasnt creme/black Zebra a Dimarzio trademark or something?
          Double creme is the DiMarzio trademark.

Comment

Sounds like a great combo to me.

Crisp but still thick and mid-snarly classic hard-rock/metal from the bridge, and a great organic clean and more vintage lead tone from the neck.

Comment

I had this combo in a Strat years ago and it was awesome. Full and clear neck sound and a muscular, thick bridge sound.

edit: the Super Distortion turns (turned?) 50 this year!

Comment

Super D sounds iconic in just about about anything.
                59N is vintagey-clear and fat enough for 24-fretters.

Both have stood the test of time - classics for good reason.
                "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Any kind of PAF and a SuperD is a great all around combo! Guitars I have like that:

73 LP PAF/SuperD
                  79 LP T-Top/Duncan D
                  Cadillac PG/Custom

Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                    Any kind of PAF and a SuperD is a great all around combo! Guitars I have like that:

73 LP PAF/SuperD
                    79 LP T-Top/Duncan D
                    Cadillac PG/Custom

Tell me more about that PG/Custom combo.

Comment

I really like it.

The PG is a little sweeter on top than a 59, and has an upper mid cut that really puts it through.

The Custom is a hot scooped humbucker .

The two make a nice pair. Both PAF-ish, but different. It's a greater range of style than just two 59's, a 59 and 59/custom hybrid, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                        I really like it.

The PG is a little sweeter on top than a 59, and has an upper mid cut that really puts it through.

The Custom is a hot scooped humbucker .

The two make a nice pair. Both PAF-ish, but different. It's a greater range of style than just two 59's, a 59 and 59/custom hybrid, etc...
                        Thanks! I've always wanted to try a Custom in the bridge and wasn't sure what a good neck match might be, so that is very helpful!

Comment

Originally posted by veil View Post

Thanks! I've always wanted to try a Custom in the bridge and wasn't sure what a good neck match might be, so that is very helpful!
                          Actually, any PAF-type is great in the neck: PG, Jazz, 59, WLH, SNS, etc.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by veil View Post

I could easily go with a 59, an A2P, a Jazz, or a PG, or even a Distortion neck or 59/Custom hybrid, depending on what I wanted and the guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Actually, any PAF-type is great in the neck: PG, Jazz, 59, WLH, SNS, etc.
                              +1

I tried a '59 and Alnico II Pro before settling on the Jazz. I've had the Custom/Jazz combo in my Explorer since 2003, and I installed them in my (new at the time) Blue/Green SG last year.
                              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Working...
                              X