Red Special Wiring Alternatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Special Wiring Alternatives

So, I made this prototype guitar (with help). It's a Thinline Tele with Adeson Brian May spec Burns Tri-Sonics. I did the three on/off switches and three phase switches and single volume and single tone pots. I want a more elegant solution. If I can reverse phase any two pickups, I won't need to reverse all three. If I can figure out how to install push/pull pots for the volume and tone and use them as volume and tone and reverse any two pickups, I'll still need three switches for on/off but it'll eliminate three phase switches.

Got any ideas?

Doing phase, (polarity actually), is the same with a push-pull as a switch. Just wire your Vol/Tone like this. One for the two pups you want to select. (Probably bridge and neck.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	push-pull_phase_lg.png
Views:	192
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	6173787

Comment

Agreed, that's easy.

For parallel pickup wiring the OP will need a 6-lug on-off-on switch, so each pickup can be wired normal phase, off, or reversed phase. That kind of switch won't be hard to find.

For series wiring, however, a 3-position switch that allows a straight pass-through in the middle position is needed. That will need to "bypass" or "short" the pickup in the middle or "off" position. Otherwise the series chain will be broken. That might be more difficult to find.

Maybe one of these for each pickup will work in series:

Last edited by ThreeChordWonder; 05-17-2022, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Are you doing this basic design?

Name:	Thinline_Tele.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	6173796

Comment

Stewmac switch.

I can figure out the wiring later.

Name:	chrome_screenshot_1652790638220.png
Views:	175
Size:	263.9 KB
ID:	6173800

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
            Are you doing this basic design?

Name:	Thinline_Tele.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	6173796
            No, I actually have three pickups. I'll go out this morning to my music room and get a pic of the guitar and post it.

Comment

Brian's favorite out of phase position was middle-neck. On my Brian May guitar, I tend to keep my middle pickup out of phase all the time, because using each pickup individually it doesn't matter and when going to middle-neck that tone is right there. It always sounds full because the pickups are in series, and it never sounds bloated/muddy/overly-fat because the middle is always out of phase, whether using bridge-middle or all three at the same time.

Comment

I think this will work:

P1 - off
                P2 - normal
                P3 - phase flipped

Sorry it's not neater, I'm not near a computer today. Click image for larger version

Name:	20220517_085627.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	6173820

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post
                  Sorry it's not neater, I'm not near a computer today.
                  That's pretty neat.

Comment

Here are some pics of my Red Special Tele. If I could eliminate the toggle switches, that would be the best option.

Comment

I have to say, that is a pretty unique guitar. I'd probably try to find a way to hardwire my 5 favorite sounds onto 1 switch (if possible).
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post
                        I think this will work:

P1 - off
                        P2 - normal
                        P3 - phase flipped

Sorry it's not neater, I'm not near a computer today. Click image for larger version

Name:	20220517_085627.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	6173820
                        That's what I do. It's a little fiddly though.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                          Brian's favorite out of phase position was middle-neck. On my Brian May guitar, I tend to keep my middle pickup out of phase all the time, because using each pickup individually it doesn't matter and when going to middle-neck that tone is right there. It always sounds full because the pickups are in series, and it never sounds bloated/muddy/overly-fat because the middle is always out of phase, whether using bridge-middle or all three at the same time.
                          That's cheating

Comment

Working...
                          X