banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Low/medium output bridge humbucker (Jazz, Screamin Demon?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low/medium output bridge humbucker (Jazz, Screamin Demon?)

Hi there,

Looking for a replacement bridge humbucker for a Pegasus (I am doing an exchange so it has to be a seymour duncan pickup). The Pegasus, while I liked the tone, it didn't respond to my picking dynamics and when using my looper (which I do in my band) it got muddy and actually would push the looper into overdrive.... which does not sound good. I am looking for something that had plenty of clarity but is also not super thin. I play clean for the most part and when using gain I mostly rely on fuzz. From listening to demos I think I prefer alnico V over ii. Interested in the Jazz bridge and the Screamin' Demon, both of which there is not a ton info out there on. Going into a lightweight popular body with a rosewood board and a sentient in the neck.

Thanks!

A Jazz bridge will have more clarity and dynamics than many other pickups. A 59 might also be a good choice if you want some bass in there, too.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

IME Jazz bridge sounds like a lower output Custom 5. It sits in Pearly Gates territory a little bit, but is flatter in the mids. My experience with the Jazz bridge is only in a mahogany SG with a TOM bridge. however. It's like an Angus Young hard rock kind of pickup. Works both clean and distorted consistently well.

I have a poplar Jackson with a laurel board, and moving pickups between my SG and the Jackson, the Floyd makes it a bit brighter (kind of overrides the wood of the guitar a bit) while the poplar accentuates a mid bump a bit. For example my Custom 5 sounded the same with a bit more sizzle on top. I would expect the Jazz bridge to be similar. It's not clear what bridge your guitar has, but that's the best opinion I can give based on my personal experience.

IME my Screamin Demon bridge, by comparison, was similar but a bit more scooped. Bright on top, thump on the bottom end and hollowed out in the mids. That was in my poplar Jackson with a Floyd.

Amp, cabinet and speakers, along with amp settings, can have a huge influence on countering any of the above effects, for example, if a pickup is a bit too scooped, I've had great success twisting amp knobs and getting it back into whatever territory I needed.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
        IME Jazz bridge sounds like a lower output Custom 5. It sits in Pearly Gates territory a little bit, but is flatter in the mids. My experience with the Jazz bridge is only in a mahogany SG with a TOM bridge. however. It's like an Angus Young hard rock kind of pickup. Works both clean and distorted consistently well.

I have a poplar Jackson with a laurel board, and moving pickups between my SG and the Jackson, the Floyd makes it a bit brighter (kind of overrides the wood of the guitar a bit) while the poplar accentuates a mid bump a bit. For example my Custom 5 sounded the same with a bit more sizzle on top. I would expect the Jazz bridge to be similar. It's not clear what bridge your guitar has, but that's the best opinion I can give based on my personal experience.

IME my Screamin Demon bridge, by comparison, was similar but a bit more scooped. Bright on top, thump on the bottom end and hollowed out in the mids. That was in my poplar Jackson with a Floyd.

Amp, cabinet and speakers, along with amp settings, can have a huge influence on countering any of the above effects, for example, if a pickup is a bit too scooped, I've had great success twisting amp knobs and getting it back into whatever territory I needed.
        Oh man this makes them both sound like good options, so picking between is a bit hard. Is the main difference is that the Jazz bridge has more mids?

Comment

Originally posted by SimpleT View Post

Oh man this makes them both sound like good options, so picking between is a bit hard. Is the main difference is that the Jazz bridge has more mids?
          I think that might be a fair statement, but I would say it's a slight difference IME. Maybe a particular amp or guitar body I don't have might make the difference sound greater than my experience. Other guys might have stronger/different opinions if they used them in different guitars through different amps. They are very close IME. For example, I put a row of hex heads in my Custom 5 and it just sounded like a loud Demon. So they are all very near neighbors IMO.

Comment

Can you lower the pickup? This has helped me “open up” a couple of humbuckers. I’m historically a single coil guy.

also ride the guitar volume. If you don’t lose high end when you turn the guitar volume knob down, you can play with the range. 10 will be more hot and compressed, 7-9 will be more dynamic and open.
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
            http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

I absolutely love the Demon and think it's incredibly underrated. It's articulate under pretty much any amount of distortion

Comment

A Jazz bridge doesn't have a ton of bass, either.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

One of my favorite over wound PAF style Duncan's is the Perpetual Burn. The name like many of the Duncan pickups is very misleading. It's not overly hot cleans up well is very touch sensitive and splits very very well. Also may want to look very hard at the Saturday Night Special. In particular like these as a full set . Very very clear and defined have a unique attack and clean are fantastic but also hold up very well under high gain. Super versatile pickups!

Guitars
                  Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                  Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

i do like the demon, but i use it in LesPauls style guitars. no clue if it will sound good in a lightweight popular body.
                    2nd i don't know how the bright demon will pair with a fuzz.
                    same for the jazz.
                    only tried them in Mahaghoni

Comment

Working...
                    X