banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the hottest, most metal Tele bridge pickup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think the QP is overly trebly at atl. Nor does it lack bass. To me, it did have a pretty evident high-mid emphasis (which I loved), but it still retained a single coil open-ness to the lows and highs. I didn't think it was a bassy pickup at all, but it certainly wasn't lacking bass. I'd even say it might have had more bass than the HR. At least in my guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
      I don't think the QP is overly trebly at atl. Nor does it lack bass. To me, it did have a pretty evident high-mid emphasis (which I loved), but it still retained a single coil open-ness to the lows and highs. I didn't think it was a bassy pickup at all, but it certainly wasn't lacking bass. I'd even say it might have had more bass than the HR. At least in my guitar.
      I agree, it’s a really fat sounding single! I just mean my idea of trying a ceramic might upset the balance.
      The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Oh, yeah. I asked the CS about making me one with ceramic or A8, but they just told me it would be a better idea just to overwind it.

Comment

Oh, yeah. I asked the CS about making me one with ceramic or A8, but they just told me it would be a better idea just to overwind it.
          It is already isn’t it?
          The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Comment

But the QP has rod magnets. Can you even get that dimension magnets in ceramic or A8? I doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
              It is already isn’t it?
              well i am pretty sure it’s AWG 44 wire and the strat version is AWG 43 wire, so they aren’t THAT hot. Actually the QP coil is really empty despite the big rods…
              so there is enough space for ablot additional wire if tou could live with the highend loss
              Last edited by ToneFiddler; 08-07-2022, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post

It’s probably a crazy idea and totally unnecessary, but I’m curious what a QP with either ceramic or A8 mags would sound like. Might not be possible, might end up unbelievable harsh and brittle and something better left for ‘buckers but it also might be a totally new sound if run through a particularly gooey distortion or fuzz.
                QP has rod magnets in the coil, not a bar mag underneath. Ceramic or A8 rods would be pretty exotic, though I'm sure they're made.
                I could imagine an overwound version being pretty cool. Still, IMO the QP is about perfect just the way it is.
                "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

the QP is definitely a cool pickup but i have a sPB with 10.5k AWG42 A5 with similar big rods and that one is equally hot but less compressed and conquested (it also has a tap a about 8k). i personally prefer it to the QP so i eventually sold the QP. the QP was a bit over the top and a too big step coming from a Jerry Donahue or SD broadcaster. so i don’t agree with the word perfect
                  but somebody might like the compression. i sometimes do too but not at the time i made the decision.

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                    QP has rod magnets in the coil, not a bar mag underneath. Ceramic or A8 rods would be pretty exotic, though I'm sure they're made.
                    I could imagine an overwound version being pretty cool. Still, IMO the QP is about perfect just the way it is.
                    You’re probably right.

For those who don’t understand why people think it’s perfect because it’s too “over the top,” that’s what makes it so haha. Over the top is what I want from a single coil because I’m really fussy about them being too weak and twangy.

Comment

Working...
                    X