banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wiring a Les Paul With Push-Pulls (Internal Series/parallel + coil selector?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring a Les Paul With Push-Pulls (Internal Series/parallel + coil selector?)

Hey, first post

So I'm trying to figure out how to set up my LP which has Lollar DBs in both positions

My idea was to have the neck and volume controls be series/parallel WITHIN each pickup.

I'm curious whether it's possible to combine this by having either tone knob be a coil selector switch, to select only the inner coils of each pickup, for example. Or potentially neck pickup for only inner coils, and bridge pickup for the outer coils?

So to clarify:
    Bridge Volume: Internal Series Parallel
    Neck Volume: Internal Series Parallel
    Bridge Tone: Inner coils of BOTH humbuckers
    Neck Tone: Outer coils of BOTH humbuckers

I prefer having everything as push/pulls, but an option might maybe to replace one of the tone knobs with an on/off/on switch

Might be complicated, but like the idea, so would be grateful for any help
    Last edited by youwotm8; 06-16-2022, 02:21 AM.

There's a lot of good info here which should help you accomplish exactly what you want.

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/emulat...itches.279861/

For that level of granular control, I would consider the Duncan Triple shot rings. Especially if you're mostly recording or playing at home.

​​​The Freeway switch would limit you to six settings, but you could go from any coil / series / parallel / phase setting to any other quickly which would make things much easier playing out.

Amazing 6 & 10 position dual-bank pickup selectors for electric guitars. Unrivalled tonal flexibility with fast intuitive operation! The official home of Free-Way.

Comment

Originally posted by piblock View Post
      There's a lot of good info here which should help you accomplish exactly what you want.

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/emulat...itches.279861/

For that level of granular control, I would consider the Duncan Triple shot rings. Especially if you're mostly recording or playing at home.

​​​The Freeway switch would limit you to six settings, but you could go from any coil / series / parallel / phase setting to any other quickly which would make things much easier playing out.

Amazing 6 & 10 position dual-bank pickup selectors for electric guitars. Unrivalled tonal flexibility with fast intuitive operation! The official home of Free-Way.

Ah cool, appreciate it. The triple shot or the freeway are kind of last-option solutions for me, trying to save some money

This looks really promising. Just to be sure, does "parallel" put the coils within the humbucker in parallel, or both humbuckers?

Comment

Actually, on second thought, I think this system might be overly complicated.

Is it possible to have one knob, eg. Neck tone, switch on inner coils for each pickup, and bridge volume, the outer coils? Sort of as having two master coil tap knobs. Then have the two volume knobs be parallel/series?

Comment

Glad to help!

It puts the coils of each humbucker in parallel with themselves. It doesn't affect the relationship between the individual humbuckers.

To put the two pickups in series with each other would require another switch. And at some point adding more options could make your head spin trying to keep track of it all.

Comment

Originally posted by youwotm8 View Post
            Is it possible to have one knob, eg. Neck tone, switch on inner coils for each pickup, and bridge volume, the outer coils? Sort of as having two master coil tap knobs. Then have the two volume knobs be parallel/series?
            I'm not sure how you would wire it, but it sounds possible. That sounds just as complex though as far as operating it.

Comment

Here's the answer to your first request. Let me chew on the second.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring.png
Views:	157
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	6179684

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                Here's the answer to your first request. Let me chew on the second.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring.png
Views:	157
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	6179684
                Oh wow, you're amazing <3

Comment

Thank you. Note that there's actually three black wires going to the neck & bridge volumes. The pup black wire, out to the 3-way, and the jumpers to the bridge tone push-pull.

P.S. It seems to me that your 1st and 2nd ideas are the same. I'll reread it, but I'm not catching the difference.
                  Last edited by ArtieToo; 06-16-2022, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Thank you. Note that there's actually three black wires going to the neck & bridge volumes. The pup black wire, out to the 3-way, and the jumpers to the bridge tone push-pull.

P.S. It seems to me that your 1st and 2nd ideas are the same. I'll reread it, but I'm not catching the difference.
                    Cool, thanks! Yea you're right, they're the same idea. I don't know why I phrased it as if it's new

Btw, will the 3-way work normally? Middle-Position = two buckers in series?

Comment

Btw, will the 3-way work normally? Middle-Position = two buckers in series?
                      Well, the middle would be "normal" both pups in parallel relative to each other. The individual pups will be series/parallel based on the position of your push-pulls.

LP style 3-ways don't lend themselves to series wiring without extensive mods.

Comment

Normal LP style 3-way toggles work bridge, bridge plus neck in parallel, neck.. And thats the pickups, not individual coils within the pickups.

As others have said, the switches don't lend themselves to series switching unless extensive use is made of push-pulls or other complex wiring.

Comment

I'm curious whether it's possible to combine this by having either tone knob be a coil selector switch, to select only the inner coils of each pickup, for example. Or potentially neck pickup for only inner coils, and bridge pickup for the outer coils?
                          If this is possible (I am eager to see the replies) you will have to flip a magnet on one of the pickups if you want it to remain hum-cancelling when using inner or outer coils.

Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                            If this is possible . . .
                            Unfortunately, it isn't with push-pulls. You need a DPDT on-off-on to do inner/outer on one pup, with one switch. Oddly, you can do inners or outers with two pups with two push-pulls. (As I've shown.) I know that seems counter intuitive, but it just is.

Comment

Unfortunately, it isn't with push-pulls. You need a DPDT on-off-on to do inner/outer on one pup, with one switch. Oddly, you can do inners or outers with two pups with two push-pulls. (As I've shown.) I know that seems counter intuitive, but it just is.
                              This is why you inspire me,
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X