banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wiring a Les Paul With Push-Pulls (Internal Series/parallel + coil selector?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

If this is possible (I am eager to see the replies) you will have to flip a magnet on one of the pickups if you want it to remain hum-cancelling when using inner or outer coils.
    Do you mean I lose hum-cancelling in Artietoo's setup above, or do you mean only if I have a coil-selector within each humbucker?

Comment

If you are able (with whatever switch) to select inner or outer coils, you need to flip a magnet to retain hum-cancelling. You wouldn't if the switch selected just bridge-side coils, and/or neck-side coils. Those would be hum-cancelling. But without a flipped magnet, inner or outer coils are not.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Tomorrow, I'll redraw that to show neck-side/bridge-side, and then flipped magnet wiring, so that you have a choice of two different hum-cancelling modes.

Comment

Wouldn't have imagined that was doable.

ArtieToo, you're a wizard. Thanks again for all you've shared over the years!
          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
            Tomorrow, I'll redraw that to show neck-side/bridge-side, and then flipped magnet wiring, so that you have a choice of two different hum-cancelling modes.
            Amazing, thank you!

Comment

The way I show the wire going "out to the 3-way" is misleading. Working on the corrected diagram right now.

Comment

This is for neck-side/bridge-side splits.

Note: Wire both volume pots as the neck volume for normal LP style wiring. Wire both pots like the bridge volume for "independent", (sometimes called 50's), wiring.

Since the neck tone PP overrides the bridge tone PP, you can leave the BT pulled, and then use the NT to instantly switch back and forth between inside or outside coils.

Mag flip diagram coming shortly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring-02.png
Views:	122
Size:	254.6 KB
ID:	6179899

Comment

Here's with mag flip on neck. If you prefer to mag flip the bridge, just substitute the upper volume color codes for the bottom, and vice-versa.

Name:	wiring-03.png
Views:	138
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	6179909

Comment

Here's with mag flip on neck. If you prefer to mag flip the bridge, just substitute the upper volume color codes for the bottom, and vice-versa.

Name:	wiring-03.png
Views:	138
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	6179909

Man, thanks so much for taking the time!

Comment

This is for neck-side/bridge-side splits.

Note: Wire both volume pots as the neck volume for normal LP style wiring. Wire both pots like the bridge volume for "independent", (sometimes called 50's), wiring.

Since the neck tone PP overrides the bridge tone PP, you can leave the BT pulled, and then use the NT to instantly switch back and forth between inside or outside coils.

Mag flip diagram coming shortly.

Name:	wiring-02.png
Views:	122
Size:	254.6 KB
ID:	6179899
                      Can I apply the wiring for the 3-way toggle you did here (Prefer modern) directly to the mag-flip diagram?

Comment

Originally posted by youwotm8 View Post

Can I apply the wiring for the 3-way toggle you did here (Prefer modern) directly to the mag-flip diagram?
                        Yes. I probably should have included it. If you want, I can add the final details of 3-way and tone wiring. By "modern" did mean conventional, or independent? (Like the neck vol, or the bridge vol?)

Comment

Yes. I probably should have included it. If you want, I can add the final details of 3-way and tone wiring. By "modern" did mean conventional, or independent? (Like the neck vol, or the bridge vol?)
                          Like the Neck, so conventional

I¨m pretty sure I can figure it out from here. Thanks!

Comment

Cool. Let us know how it turns out.

Comment

Finally got around to fixing it. Lollar recommend 1meg push pulls for mine, so had to get long shaft push pulls with a lower resistance and replace the track with 1megs from short shaft ones.

Turned out pretty cool! Still need to tweak some stuff, cavity is an absolute mess + need to check resistances all over. It works though! all settings sound great.

One thing is that seems to be something off with the base-tone in that it sort of sounds flubbier or darker? I'm guessing that's more due to me not having had the opportunity to play in the last, so not being used to the tone, rather than a wiring-thing, but i'll have to explore that

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by youwotm8 View Post
                                Still need to tweak some stuff, cavity is an absolute mess . . .
                                Looks perfect. That's exactly how I designed it.

Comment

Working...
                                X