want to hear your opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• want to hear your opinion

Hello, My guitar is a strat SSS MIJ CLONE (made by Fujigen) strat with 3 SSL-4's on it now. It has alder body, maple fretboard, Wilkinson VSVG with SDS510. i don't like the sound of SSL-4, so i'm thinking to make it HSS and put TB-14,SSL-7. the TB-14 has good rating and i like the sound. the TB-14 is very good and i like the sound. the SSL-7 is very good and i like it. I am also told that SSL-7 is stratty than SSL-4. And I like the look of it. I am thinking of buying an SSL-7 with a tap and making it more Stratty with the tap. I am thinking of putting an SSL-7T on the neck, SSL-7T Rwrp in the middle, and a TB-14 on the bridge. Now, what do you think about this? Please let me know your opinion.

Welcome to the forum!

The SSL-7 by itself sounds much thicker than a regular Strat pickup, and 'feels' different due to the compression of the higher output. It is a good match output-wise with the Custom 5, but doesn't sound particularly Stratty.
    Tapped, it might work, however providing the tap is in a better place than the dead middle of the coil. As far as the Custom 5, it depends what kind of sound you are going for. It is a very scooped pickup, with virtually no mids. It sounds exceptional in a mid-heavy guitar, but might be too scooped depending on the sound you are looking for. What music do you like? And what don't you like about the current pickups?
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Throw a decent compressor after it and you will be amazed.

Comment

Hmmm...is that so? In Japan, for some reason, SSL-7 is said to be more stratty than SSL-4. Some people have actually compared them, and they say it improves on the shortcomings of the SSL-4. I like the look of it.
        As for the TB-14, I decided to choose it because it sounded great when I played my friend's guitar. It has an alder body so I think the mid tones are ok.
        I like to listen to various kinds of music such as rock, jazz, metal, and pop. I want to do many things with this one guitar.
        What I don't like about the SSL-4: ...... Well, I'm still a beginner so I don't really know, but I don't really like it for some reason. That's when I came across the TB-14 on a friend's guitar i like it. and the reason I'm sticking with the SSL-7 is due to the output balance and looks lol.

Comment

I don't have money…… i can't buy pedal

Comment

Since you have the SSL-4 set already, I think it is worth trying them with a humbucker to create your own HSS set. However the RW/RP should go in the neck position and the normal SSL-4 in the middle. That way it will be hum cancelling with a split coil humbucker in position 2.

SSL-7 has generally similar specs to the SSL-4. If you want to make it more Strat-like, I suggest to change to tone pot to 500k and keep the SSL-4. Flat stagger poles of the SSL-4 should be a better match for most of today's guitars.

Comment

If you really want a Strat sound, go for an SSL-2, or a Classic Stack, which are ideal Strat sounds.

Comment

Ok,thank you
                I am also intrigued by the SSL-52. If I can't get it to work with the SSL-7, I will put the 52 on. What do you think?

Comment

i like the 5/2 a lot. way less power than the ssl7 or ssl4

Comment

Yes, the Five Two has less power, but sound a lot more Stratty (if that's your goal).

Comment

Have you heard the demos of the Yamaha Pacifica 612vii ? It has TB-14 and a pair of SSL-1, that seems to be a nice combo. Maybe Classic stack if you need noiseless.
                      Who took my guitar?

Comment

SSL-2 makes a great middle pickup, and I think the output level will match better with the 1/4 pound pickups.

Comment

Thanks,everyone
                          Actually, I would like to be able to tap the SSL-7 so that it can be handled like a regular single coil. I would like to be able to use full and tapped differently.
                          I am torn right now between the SSL-52 and the tapped SSL-7. I don't have any audio samples of the tapped SSL-7 so I can't compare them. What to do.

Comment

And can I use SSL-52 for metal? I want to use it for various genres (pop, blues, classic rock and mass rock, and even metal) after modification.

Comment

Play genreop,blues,classic rock,jazz,hard rock,metal,progressive,Electronica……all genre!
                              Which is better, the tapped SSL-7(SSL-7)T or the SSL-52? Which one can handle various genres (including metal)?

Comment

Working...
                              X