want to hear your opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Architect-128 View Post
    And can I use SSL-52 for metal? I want to use it for various genres (pop, blues, classic rock and mass rock, and even metal) after modification.
    The 52 wouldn't be my first choice for metal but with the right amp and pedals why not. It is a true single coil and very balanced tone wise. I have used them in a strat and really enjoyed the tone. They will work well for the other genres of music you play.

Comment

If I was going to use a lot of gain, I might look into a stacked design instead, or single coil-sized humbucker. You can run them in parallel for a clearer, cleaner single coilish sound.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        If I was going to use a lot of gain, I might look into a stacked design instead, or single coil-sized humbucker. You can run them in parallel for a clearer, cleaner single coilish sound.
        This is a good idea. You can always add gain to a clean sounding pickup . . . but doing that with singles can make the hum and noise a bit of a nightmare.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Hum measures are fine. I prefer regular single coils over stacked or single size humbuckers.

Comment

Thank you CK71.I consider ssl-52-1

Comment

I overheard that a tapped version of the SSL-7 could be used in a variety of genres, what do you think?
              Last edited by Architect-128; 06-22-2022, 11:32 PM.

Comment

It can, but with higher gain, you will get higher noise.

Comment

Ok,I'm going to install ssl-52

Comment

Five Twos are great pickups. I have one in the middle of my HSS set.

Comment

That's good. What is your neck pickup?
                      My question is, does the SSL-52 feel 'flimsy'? Do you have any beef with the sound?

Comment

In the neck I have a Classic Stack. As far as Five Twos having 'beef;...well, they are single coils, and they 'feel' like single coils. So comparing them to a humbucker, they are cleaner, clearer, more dynamic, but still certainly single coils. Great for vintage sounds. You'd need a boost for heavier stuff.

Comment

Ok,thank you.
                          Sorry for repeating the question. Does Duncan have a "Modern Vintage" single coil pickup like the Suhr ML?

Comment

I'm looking for a Duncan pickup that is just a little hotter (like a Suhr ML for that matter) because the SSL-5 has a higher output.
                            Can the SSL-52 produce a modern sound?

Comment

The Five Two is a vintage sound, not particularly modern. How do you define a modern sound? I am not familiar with the Suhr.

Comment

Suhr ML has a middy sound - I think its a bit like having a tube screamer on all the time. To me the SSL-2 are not too far away from the Suhr ML in terms of output, but the Duncan's have a more relaxed voicing in the mids which I prefer.

Comment

Working...
                                X