No announcement yet.

Possible ear fatigue from Black Winters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well worth it. With Black Winters, the guitar plays you.

Comment

Strats are always more lively than Les Pauls to me. No matter the pickups. With the Bw maybe you’re getting the girth that the LP provides but with the snap of a Strat. Sounds like a great problem to have.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
      http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Some pickups really require redialing when you switch guitars. I've chosen carefully to avoid needing to do that.
        For those who play one guitar primarily or can spare the time to reset, all that matters is what one likes.

EDIT: Of course it's also true that to human hearing, higher volume - even slightly higher - sounds like better tone...

I've recently fallen back in love with my Distortion set; it drives harder and chunks better than anything else in my arsenal.
        Practically speaking, it's far too different from the rest of my fleet to work for me.
        Otherwise I'd be very tempted to let it spoil me.
        Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 06-24-2022, 05:00 PM.
        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

The attack the Fralin High Output pickups have is amazing, they have incredible touch and sensitivity.

I have 3 overdrives and 2 boosts on my board. Nothing or combination (gain staging) seemed to get me over the hump. Even my Wampler Dracarys with an EP type boost wouldn't get me over the hump.
          "You must do what you feel is right of course." ~ Obi-Wan Kenobi
          For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
            Some pickups really require redialing when you switch guitars. I've chosen carefully to avoid needing to do that.
            For those who play one guitar primarily or can spare the time to reset, all that matters is what one likes.

EDIT: Of course it's also true that to human hearing, higher volume - even slightly higher - sounds like better tone....
            When I plugged in the BW Strat I did not change the EQ on anything. It sounded great without adjusting anything. The same settings that sound great with every other guitar now sound flat. I have practice tomorrow night I am going to start off with the Les Paul Custom Lite and the Fralin Strat. If they sound fine and I think they will, it will let me know I might have to EQ the BW. I am putting my mini-seven band in the gig bag today.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

When I plugged in the BW Strat I did not change the EQ on anything. It sounded great without adjusting anything. The same settings that sound great with every other guitar now sound flat. I have practice tomorrow night I am going to start off with the Les Paul Custom Lite and the Fralin Strat. If they sound fine and I think they will, it will let me know I might have to EQ the BW. I am putting my mini-seven band in the gig bag today.
              Good idea. I know you love the BW's voicing, so you may be able to leave the EQ flat and simply dial down the level fader to bring the BW in line with the vintage output pickups.

I think the same thing is going on with my Distortion set. A lot of what I love isn't their EQ so much as the way their hotness drives an amp harder at the usual settings.
              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post

Good idea. I know you love the BW's voicing
                Not just that but everything to do with the guitar is now perfect (for me) it is a freaking beast. Babicz, locking tuners, LSR nut, stutter switch, it is dialed in just right for me. I would go kicking and screaming before changing anything on it.

Comment

So...I just got home from practice. I didn't spin a single knob or EQ anything. I started with my Sunburst Strat with the Fralins. We did our standard openers and the guitar was singing. After the break I switched to the Les Paul Lite with the WLHs we did our Led Zeppelin and Aerosmith montage and once again everything sounded fantastic. Everyone in the band agreed the tone was monster tonight and were scratching their heads because of the last practice everything sounded flat.

We are off for a couple of weeks. Next practice I am going to start off with the Black Winter to see if the other guitars sound flat afterward again or if it was a fluke, off night, or gremlins.
                  Last edited by Securb; 06-30-2022, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Super strong midrange a great kind of ear fatigue to have IMO. Nazgul is like that too but isn't quite as balanced, so it's a bit pickier about the application (guitar, boost, amp, style ect.).
                    Super3 has those full BW type mids, but it's highs are much less opened. It still has that easy to play feel though just like the BW.

Comment

This is interesting. I'm a big fan of the Distortion. On any given night though, I Play a Custom (a lot) and a JB, and then maybe PG's, Jackson style Distortion, A2P's, perhaps a Demon. I guess I change often enough I don't notice...

Optionally, Once I go Distortion I don't go back!
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Most stock Strat bridge pickups are hard for me to take for extended periods. Especially if I am the one playing it.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

This is a scary thread for me. I love my Custom and my Distortion, but have really been wanting to try a BW since I keep reading it is a better Distortion. When I do try a BW, I hope I will not want to abandon all my other pickups.
                          I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post
                            This is a scary thread for me. I love my Custom and my Distortion, but have really been wanting to try a BW since I keep reading it is a better Distortion. When I do try a BW, I hope I will not want to abandon all my other pickups.
                            Don't be scared it is an amazing pickup. I just might have to put my EQ on the board to bring the mids inline with everything else. I am not sure yet. That being said it sounds amazing, the touch and feel is awesome. I am not sure yet what the answer is.

Comment

I know this too well, drives me nuts

-when I switch from P90s to buckers or a more scooped/regular voiced single I get a similar experience.

Pumped mids have a way to dominating your brains expectation or tone -similar to the way a British rock amp does. It makes you feel like your missing something -even though it may just be your brain needing a break to evaluate later.

It almost takes days or weeks for me to appreciate the advantages and subtleties of other pickups and amps/speakers if I'm using P90s and British amps in my experience.

Also, there is never a free lunch in my experience -when my other guitar player uses his SG and JMP, we get a wonderfully smooth bite and ultra present attack and but lose out on the fullness of his Mesa, and also any delicate cleans and sparkle when he goes lower gain channel.

There's just no way to get it all unless you want to cart around a ton of gear usually IME
                              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post
                                You won't want to abandon other pickups. You'll want to buy more amps.

Comment

Working...
                                X