Seymour Duncan 490R/498T equivalent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour Duncan 490R/498T equivalent?

What Seymour Duncan pickups would be closest to the Gibson 490R & 498T set? Thanks!

If I had to upgrade them but keep them in the ballpark I would say A2Pro neck and JB bridge.

Comment

The 490R is closer to a 59, but with a lot less personality.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Just spec-wise on paper, what Blille posted is closest, but those don't sound anything like a 498T/490R set.

Sound-wise, there's almost nothing.

But who wants a Duncan version of a Gibson pickup? If you're going Duncan, it's to improve upon and fix what's wrong with the Gibson set. And to that end, I'd move in any of these directions...

Pearly Gates set
        Seth set
        Whole Lotta Humbucker set
        Distortion set
        Black Winter set

...for a start.

Comment

Actually the Custom 5 is closest to the 498T....not that specs are everything but it shares a similar DCR, has the same wire gauge and magnet. They are both quite brash and scooped - in the wrong guitar they are a nightmare but the C5 will be more balanced.
          The A2 pro is probably closest in nature to the 490R in its intent.....but with more clarity.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
            fix what's wrong with the Gibson set. .
            What is wrong with a Gibson set? Gibson makes some amazing pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              The 490R is closer to a 59, but with a lot less personality.
              490R have A2, so 59 with an A2 ???
              I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

What is wrong with a Gibson set? Gibson makes some amazing pickups.
                I agree, but not 'perfect'. While I can make a lot of music with my 498T/490R LP, I had to adjust the pickups quite a bit and, while they are good, they weren't 'right' or the best I've heard in an LP.

My take on the 498T/490R is they were designed for versatility, because Gibson has to make their guitar work for the widest possible group of players, which makes the pickups good a most things but not the pinnacle for any one particular kind of playing or sound. With factory height settings and the poles leveled, I can do metal all day, or back off the volume and do cleans/pop/funk. With them lowered significantly and the poles raised, I can get it to sound like a PAF / vintage LP to a degree and cover blues, even some country-ish picking, but it's missing that top end spank and the mids are not quite clear. String to string definition with chords is not there. That's where moving to Duncans and others to 'fix' comes in, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post

490R have A2, so 59 with an A2 ???
                  I was talking sound and feel -wise, not construction.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I think the 498T is a fantastic bridge pickup. It's rude, raspy, and grindy. Perfect for gain, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                      Actually the Custom 5 is closest to the 498T....not that specs are everything but it shares a similar DCR, has the same wire gauge and magnet. They are both quite brash and scooped - in the wrong guitar they are a nightmare but the C5 will be more balanced.
                      The A2 pro is probably closest in nature to the 490R in its intent.....but with more clarity.
                      Agree on the description of the 490R.

I was also thinking about the Custom 5 for the 498T but I thought it did something in the upper mids closer to the JB than the C5. Don’t really disagree. Different pickups at the end of the day so it’s not a direct match.

They didn’t last that long for me so I’m not an expert but that’s my take.

Comment

A2 Pro neck and Screamin Demon bridge.

Comment

I stumbled upon this video while looking for JB clips:

Comment

I agree with the 498 is 'like' a Custom 5. I don't know what the 490 is like. Or care. If this set works for you - great. Rock it in good health (or jazz it, blues it, whatever).

Securb is a fan. While I could play whatever with these pickups, I could easily find a number of other pickups I prefer for any given purpose. as a set over all, the work for whatever, and are are great at nothing IMO. But even at that - if you just got a guitar with them, live with them for a while. Just on principle...you might like/love them.

But just like I think a Jazz is a way better version of a T-TOp, I think the C5 is a way better 498. Not that I am a fan of either in general.

And yes - Gibson does make some fine, if over-priced pickups: P90, 500T, BB1, BB2's, Dirty Fingers, so I'm not Gibson hating. But that set just isn't my thing.
                            Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

We may be suffering from a little Unconscious Bias assuming the OP is replacing a set. Maybe the OP heard a set and wants to get that tone, but is loyal only to SD? Just thinking out loud...

To come close to getting back on topic, I pulled this set from my LP Classic 1960 and replaced them with '59s. But I wanted to get that vintage tone.
                              I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Working...
                              X