No announcement yet.

Seymour Duncan 490R/498T equivalent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think a 59 neck is closer in tone to a 490R, magnet or not. The 490R sounds really nothing like a A2P to me- too scooped.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      I think a 59 neck is closer in tone to a 490R, magnet or not. The 490R sounds really nothing like a A2P to me- too scooped.
      That’s interesting. The 490R I had was like it was said above, an A2Pro without the clarity. Mud-town territory.

Have you played them in semis or hollows? Maybe that makes a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post

That’s interesting. The 490R I had was like it was said above, an A2Pro without the clarity. Mud-town territory.

Have you played them in semis or hollows? Maybe that makes a difference.
        Mine was in a 1991 Howard Roberts Fusion.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
          I think the 498T is a fantastic bridge pickup. It's rude, raspy, and grindy. Perfect for gain, IMO.
          Agreed! I love the 498t, I prefer with a 496r neck to the 490 though, I'm also a big fan of Burstbuckers when in the mood for PAF type pups, a 498 or BB3 can do some killer heavy rock!
          Jackson Dominion Bourbon Burst-Duncan '59 bridge, Screamin' Demon neck
          Jackson Dominion Wine Drunk-Super Distortion bridge, Custom Custom neck (don't hit me!)
          Dean Chicago Flame V Classic Black-Dimarzio Super Distortion neck & bridge
          Laney, Peavey, Marshall...

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Mine was in a 1991 Howard Roberts Fusion.
            Maybe that matters. I remember the 490R was also in the old Herb Ellis which I always thought sounded nice, but I never played one.

Comment

Originally posted by soulforger View Post

Agreed! I love the 498t, I prefer with a 496r neck to the 490 though, I'm also a big fan of Burstbuckers when in the mood for PAF type pups, a 498 or BB3 can do some killer heavy rock!
              We think alike!

Comment

I think that near JB balanced.C5 have more mids.

Comment

My experience with the 498T/490R is very mixed. I have 2 90s Les Paul Studios (Ebony fretboards) and the pickup combo sounds amazing in them. I have a 2001 LP Custom and the pickups sound anemic as hell in that guitar (waiting to put a 35th anniversary JB/Jazz set in). Maybe the modern ones are just dull? the 90s ones sounds great, or maybe thats just some "vintage magic" happening to the pickups as they age.

As for pickups that are within the output range, the Custom 5 and Jazz/59 neck would be on par output wise.
                  Charvel, Kramer, Gibson, Fender, MIJ/US Epiphone, BC Rich
                  Full Shred, Distortion, JB, Custom (Custom), Screamin' Demon, Cool Rails, Alternative 8, Mini Humbucker, Lil 59, 59, APH-1, Black Winter, Silverbird, SP90, PATB1,2,3, YJM, 59/custom hybrid, SSL-1 AH1BJ, Jazz, Antiquity JB/Jazz, Alpha/Omega

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

What is wrong with a Gibson set? Gibson makes some amazing pickups.
                    Was just trying to understand them, as I’ve never played a set.

Comment

No experience with the 498t, but the 490r is probably the worst neck pickup I've ever played. I've had them in an SG, Les Paul, and a Jaguar. They're mudbuckers. Replaced the one in my SG with a Pearly Gates (later a Wolfetone Marshallhead neck) , Les Paul with a Jazz (later a Wolfetone Legend), and the Jaguar got a Jazz too. Magnet swapping will help, but it's kind of like polishing a turd.
                      "An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. " - Bukowski

"A banker will take a guitar and play three notes on it. A rock star will take a guitar and throw it across the room. " - David Lee Roth

Comment

I can't compare the 498T to anything Duncan does. The 498 is a solid stock pickup, to my ears. It's on the hot side of the output spectrum, but it rocks for hard rock and metal.

The 490T is my least favorite Gibson pickup, my a longshot.
                        Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

Working...
                        X