Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend me a bridge humbucker that pairs well with a Firebird neck pickup

Hi Guys,

I'm strongly considering routing my Gibson 2019 Firebird to fit it with a bridge humbucker. I had the stock Gibson Firebird Lead pickup in there for about 2.5 years and really never gelled with it. I didn't mind the hotness so much, but I really disliked the flubby bass. I've had a DiMarzio PG-13 mini-humbucker in the bridge for a 6 months now and it's a lot closer to the sound I want, but it's not THE sound, if that makes any sense. A little too thin/single-coily. It's better, but not exactly what I'm looking for. I, like a lot of you, primarily play rock and metal, but also dabble a bit with blues, and pop. Right now I primarily play through a Friedman JJ-Jr through a Greenback-loaded 1x12.

I've been really happy with the greasy-sounding Gibson Firebrid Rhythm neck firebird mini-hum, and so I'm now starting to look into getting the bridge routed to accept a fullsize humbucker but I'm not quite sure what pickup I should get to pair well with the neck Firebird pickup.

I think I want a vintage or medium-output bridge humbucker that's on the brighter side to sort of fit in with the character of my Firebird, but with an added fullness that's not possible with a mini-hum. Some pickups I was thinking could pair well are the SD 78, High Voltage, Alinico Pro II, or '59, a Bare Knuckle Riff Raff, or possibly a Gibson '57 Classic. I'm 100% open to any suggestion that isn't "sell the Firebird and buy something else instead."

Thanks!

welcome to the forum!

im thinking the high voltage might be a sweet match up

Comment

A Pearly Gates, or if you want something hotter, a Full Shred would work well, too.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
        welcome to the forum!

im thinking the high voltage might be a sweet match up
        Thanks! Long time lurker--no better pickup forum on the internet, in my opinion.

And I think it might too. I've got no hands on experience with it, but it seems like it could have plenty of bite and treble.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          A Pearly Gates, or if you want something hotter, a Full Shred would work well, too.
          I'm not a massive Full Shred fan (tried it out in a Kramer F-1000, which is admittedly a wildly different guitar than my Firebird). Haven't tried the Pearly Gates though--isn't it a warmer pickup?

Comment

Pearly Gates is actually a bright version of a PAF...like a 59 with more treble and slightly less bass.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              Pearly Gates is actually a bright version of a PAF...like a 59 with more treble and slightly less bass.
              Oh sweet--thats officially on the short list now.

Comment

i find the 59 has more treble actually but the pcb has a big upper mid peak that some people hear as high end, both are great pups

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                  i find the 59 has more treble actually but the pcb has a big upper mid peak that some people hear as high end, both are great pups
                  Hmm interesting. Stylistically, are there any genres of music that either pickup can't do?

Comment

not really. a buddy of mine plays black metal with a pgb. gotta have be able to get the gain with the amp or pedal or whatever if you wanna do the heavys since they are paf output

Comment

Before you cut wood, maybe look into something like the Baby BBQ bucker or the Babybucker if you want something more modern. The Baby BBQ works well in my Firebird style guitar (Kauer Banshee) is definitely more like a standard humbucker.
                      Replacement Guitar pickups for electric guitars, bass guitars and steel guitars.

https://www.riograndepickups.com/sin...ers-for-guitar

If you do decide to cut a bigger hole, Screamin Demon balances well with mid to low output pickups and can do pretty much any style.
                      Last edited by chadd; 06-30-2022, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pentatonicwanker View Post

Hmm interesting. Stylistically, are there any genres of music that either pickup can't do?
                        You might need a boost, but that's what's great about PAF winds...they can do a lot more than specialty pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
                          Before you cut wood, maybe look into something like the Baby BBQ bucker or the Babybucker if you want something more modern. The Baby BBQ works well in my Firebird style guitar (Kauer Banshee) is definitely more like a standard humbucker.
                          Replacement Guitar pickups for electric guitars, bass guitars and steel guitars.

https://www.riograndepickups.com/sin...ers-for-guitar

If you do decide to cut a bigger hole, Screamin Demon balances well with mid to low output pickups and can do pretty much any style.
                          Do you have any clips of the Rio Grande pickups in your Firebird? I'd completely forgotten about Rio Grande, and they don't appear to have any audio clips of their minis.

Comment

i agree with chad.
                            i would really try more fitting aftermarket options before cutting any wood!

Comment

Originally posted by pentatonicwanker View Post

Do you have any clips of the Rio Grande pickups in your Firebird? I'd completely forgotten about Rio Grande, and they don't appear to have any audio clips of their minis.
                              I'll see if I can make time to record something.

Comment

Working...
                              X