Let's talk about Gibson P100 pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's talk about Gibson P100 pickups

I actually like them, can get great tones out of them. In fact I can get great tone out of most stuff... Does that make me special? No not at all, I just believe that gear needs the right circumstances to be good.
    SO that being said, I think 50's wiring is the secret sauce to opening these up. Any thoughts?

Why don't people like them and why?

Is there a difference in clear bobbin or black?

i didnt care for them cause i wanted them to sound like a p90, and they dont. the are more polite and thats not what i want from a p90

Comment

Jeremy nailed the p100 reputation, however, I love to develop tones in non-traditional ways and have had a couple of p100 successes.

They are extremely good with clean modulation including phasers course and flangers. I had a dual amp rig at one point with a panning pedal with the cleans going solid state and extremely overdriven tubes at the opposite end of the pedal.

There were hundreds of great tones across that spectrum and the p100 didn an excellent job supporting all those different tones.
      What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

Yeah, the bad rep comes from people expecting them to be noiseless versions of P90s, and they aren't really. They should really be judged as their own thing.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I dunno....I only have 2 Les Pauls with P90 style pickups. I have a 1991 LP 40th aniv with the P100s and a 1993 LP Studio limited edition with SD SP90-3 Custom bridge and an SP-90-1 Vintage in the neck. I really like this combo. The 40th aniv LP is so nice i dont play it much. Maybe i will do a tone comparison.
          Charvel, Kramer, Gibson, Fender, MIJ/US Epiphone, BC Rich
          Full Shred, Distortion, JB, Custom (Custom), Screamin' Demon, Cool Rails, Alternative 8, Mini Humbucker, Lil 59, 59, APH-1, Black Winter, Silverbird, SP90, PATB1,2,3, YJM, 59/custom hybrid, SSL-1 AH1BJ, Jazz, Antiquity JB/Jazz, Alpha/Omega

Comment

Working...
          X