banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the Pearly Gates like in the neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    I would think the best match would be a 59/Custom Hybrid, or a regular Custom with the PGn.
    Yeah, the hybrid would be great. The Custom also (I don't really like the ceramic mag though). Definitely NOT the CC.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

It's a picky pickup. But as others have mentioned, significantly less bass than the 59.

My PGn has been in 2 Les Pauls and it's currently in my Goth Explorer.

Yes, that's a Bill and Becky L-500XL in the bridge

Sent from my 2201116PG using Tapatalk

Comment

Tonally I think a Demon ought to go nicely with the C5, in korina or mahog for that matter.
        Level-wise it's pretty strong at the neck. C5 should be powerful enough to balance pretty well with it.

I agree with the advice to use it for awhile before you switch to something else.
        However if you eventually decide you want a lower output neck, IMO the PGn should do very nicely.

Jazz neck would be another option - it also is a bit Stratty compared to most neck hums.
        Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 07-29-2022, 11:45 AM.
        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
          I think there would be a greater mismatch between a CC and a Pearly than with a C5 and a Pearly. The Pearly is pretty bright, not so the CC. The Pearly or the Demon make a great neck pup matched with the C5 or C8 in the bridge.
          Have you tried any of those combinations? It sounds like you're guessing.

The Pearly Gates is really not bright relative to any bridge pickup. It might be bright relative to other A2 neck humbuckers, but that's not a high bar.

I've tried all these combinations with the PGn: Custom, Custom 5, Custom 8, Custom Custom. The Custom Custom matches really well.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by fretburner View Post
            It's a picky pickup. But as others have mentioned, significantly less bass than the 59.

My PGn has been in 2 Les Pauls and it's currently in my Goth Explorer.

Yes, that's a Bill and Becky L-500XL in the bridge

How's it sound in the middle position?
            To me, those two pickups together could be an unlooked for Grail set.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
              How's it sound in the middle position?
              To me, those two pickups together could be an unlooked for Grail set.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
              I don't spend much time in the middle position but I remember it sounding close to a Les Paul also in the middle position.

What amazed me the most was that - in the Explorer - the PGn had become significantly warmer without losing its bite.

In my LP Studio, it sounded bright and kinda lost its "honk"... In another LP it sounded better, but...In the explorer, it sounded perfect.

Picky pickup... Like the Alt8.

Comment

Originally posted by bigcupholder View Post
                The Pearly Gates would be very mismatched with the Custom 5 in terms of EQ. I've had that pairing and didn't enjoy how different the two were from each other. The Custom 8 as I have it now is a bit better, but the Custom Custom in my experience is the best match for the PGn.

Then again, some people like Telecasters with a neck humbucker and bridge single coil, so clearly some people like huge EQ mismatches between the neck and bridge pickups.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
                Agree with you here as the A 2 mag in particular has a softer attack and a different feel that the A5 Custom 5 does. With a Custom 5 the Demon you already have deserves at least a chance. Korina can have a wide range in weight and tone. Some is on the bright side and I find the Pearly Gates to be fantastic in a very warm guitar but really harsh and shrill in one on the bright side. The neck pickup no one here has mentioned yet is the Sentient. I REALLY like the Sentient paired with a Custom 5 myself. Very clear and articulate with gain brighter and not as boomy than say a 59 but still warm and sweet clean. Splits very very well and is a very underrated pickup.
                This is a Sentient neck split with a 59 Custom Hybrid in my Solid Koa Carvin DC 127. The Split tone with a Custom 5 bridge should be almost identical.

Guitars
                Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by fretburner View Post
                  I don't spend much time in the middle position but I remember it sounding close to a Les Paul also in the middle position.

What amazed me the most was that - in the Explorer - the PGn had become significantly warmer without losing its bite.

In my LP Studio, it sounded bright and kinda lost its "honk"... In another LP it sounded better, but...In the explorer, it sounded perfect.

Picky pickup... Like the Alt8.

Agree here 100%!
                  Guitars
                  Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                  Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by bigcupholder View Post
                    The Pearly Gates would be very mismatched with the Custom 5 in terms of EQ. I've had that pairing and didn't enjoy how different the two were from each other.
                    (Mis)Matched = I seek a neck pickup, that is basically the tonal equivalent, especially output EQ-wise similar to my bridge pickup.

Complimentary = Tonally I seek things that are 'missing' in the other pickup.

There are times and places for each, and various players prefer various things.

Examples:

Dimarzio Super Distortion and Super 2; Matched set. Very close tones neck and bridge.

A2P neck and 59 bridge; Complimentary set. 59 highs are sharp, A2P's are fat. In both on you get a unique tone that is different than either alone. A2P bass is softer, 59 is tighter, in-between you get something else.

Players do a horrible job referring to which they really want.
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                    X