JB Wiring Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB Wiring Issue

Red+White, Green+Bare, as usual. 16k95 reading from green to black; W/R to green is 8k6, R/W to black is 8k6. Both coils pass the tap test. However, there is no humbucking and the whole thing is weak, severely outpowered by the Jazz N, seemingly double as if in parallel, but the readings rule that out. Maybe one coil got wound backwards?
    "I don't like the real world. I have to live there, and it sucks. It's drab, it's dingy, quality control is a f*cking joke, A-cups are far too prevalent, nobody can fly and all the dinosaurs are dead!" -- The Game Overthinker

First try increasing the pickup height. I just had this with a brand new, newly fitted, SNS. Then i noticed how low the bridge humbucker was relative to the strings.

As for coil readings:

With the red and white joined you should get around 16.6 kohm green to black.

Split the red and white apart and you should get around 8.3 kohm black to white and red to green.

You should NOT be getting ANY circuit (infinite ohms) white to red or green. Likewise black to red or green.

If you are getting a circuit where you should not, either someone's been messing with the wiring or you've got a dud.

Comment

Even if the coils are wound correctly, one of them could be wired out of phase.
      It's been known to happen (once or twice, out of countless thousands of pickups).

The pickup is brand new, yes? I'd exchange it for another, rather than opening it up.
      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Thanks, guys. Turns out that they had the red and green leads reversed. Easy fix. Popped in an A2, and I'm thinking I should've done this four decades ago.
        "I don't like the real world. I have to live there, and it sucks. It's drab, it's dingy, quality control is a f*cking joke, A-cups are far too prevalent, nobody can fly and all the dinosaurs are dead!" -- The Game Overthinker

Comment

To my hearing/taste, the JB definitely sounds "better" with an A2 or even an A8. BUT...it still sounds like a JB (which is not a good thing to me).
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Count me in among the fans of JBs with A2.

Comment

Originally posted by jafo View Post
              Thanks, guys. Turns out that they had the red and green leads reversed. Easy fix. Popped in an A2, and I'm thinking I should've done this four decades ago.
              They wouldn't let me join the RAF because I'm ever so slightly red/green color blind. I expect someone at SD might be too

About the first they do at the recruitment center is to give you an eye test to check whether you can tell if the planes are coming towards you (bad guys presumably) or flying away from you (good guys presumably).

I failed.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                Count me in among the fans of JBs with A2.
                See, to me, a JB sounds like a JB, even with an A2.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

IME the JB with an A2 in a Les Paul sounds just like a really loud Whole Lotta Humbucker.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

See, to me, a JB sounds like a JB, even with an A2.
                    I tried everything I could think of to improve the sound of the JB, different magnets, different pole pieces, wiring in parallel, etc. Nothing worked...it still sounded like a JB. To me, that's not a good thing. The JB seems to have its place and lots of people like it, but it's just not my thing. It overloads my hearing and gets very tiring after a short while.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

I tried everything I could think of to improve the sound of the JB, different magnets, different pole pieces, wiring in parallel, etc. Nothing worked...it still sounded like a JB. To me, that's not a good thing. The JB seems to have its place and lots of people like it, but it's just not my thing. It overloads my hearing and gets very tiring after a short while.
                      I had the same experience. As much as I tried, I could just never get into that sound.

Comment

When I first put a JB in a guitar and try it out, it seems fine...maybe even good. But after about 30 seconds I get fatigued by that tone and just can't "fix" it. I just want to throw my guitar out the window and scream (I don't actually do that though). Just take out the JB and put something else in. There are SOOOO many other/better pups available.

Comment

I can't imagine ever getting fatigued by the sound of a properly wired JB.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                            I can't imagine ever getting fatigued by the sound of a properly wired JB.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
                            It just hits me the wrong way. It is the exact opposite of how I want a guitar to sound/feel.

Comment

I love the JB with A8 magnet :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X