Thinking about modifying a Jb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about modifying a Jb

I've been thinking about putting 1 row of invader pole screws and 1 row hex screws in a JB p/u. I’ve read some old post about it and sounds like it might really tighten the low end of the JB vs. I was thinking that I’ll need to swap the north and south coils so I can have the hex screws on the inner side and invader screws on the bridge side. The thing is after reading a bunch of old post I didn’t find anyone that really describe how it sounded and how different it sounded from a stock JB?
    If anyone has done this how did sound. How did it differ from the stock JB???
    If you have tried I liked hear about. Also if you have tips doing let me know. Thanks
    There's no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid mistakes!

Schecter Hellraiser solo-6 and solo-6FR, Schecter C-1EX,
    Edwards LP Lemon drop, ES-335 copy, Fender Telecaster
    Boss GT-10
    Rocktron Velocity 300
    Two custom built 2x12 cabs with V-30 & G12T-75's in each cab
    Marshall Mode Four/MF 400 cab
    AMT Legend series pedals V1, F1, R1, E1, M1, P1, D2 and growing

It will make it sound subtly brighter & tighter, but it will still sound like a JB. In my book, it's not worth the effort. But it's your pup, so try it and see what you think. It certainly can't hurt the sound of a JB.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I never thought the JB was as mod-friendly as other winds. You can push or pull the EQ one number either way, but the wind seems to overpower anything you do to it. If you decide to do it, let us know how it turns out and if it is enough of an EQ change for you.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

^ +1
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Well that’s a bummer. If I decide to do it I’ll let you guys know how it turned out for me. Thanks for the input guys

Boss GT-10
          Rocktron Velocity 300

Comment

might be worth trying? not sure why youd have to swap coils though? were you planning on splitting the pup?

Comment

Just today a friend of mine, a long-time JB user, showed me a mid he did. He swapped out the A5 magnet for an A8, and also removed the pole pieces...in their place is another set of screws. Also used a nickel cover.

His goal was to tame the brightness of the JB a bit by bringing up some low end. The guitar, a Strat, sounded fantastic! Definitely a lot of output and very loud. You can really feel the difference of the low end presence, there's a thick crunch in the sound now.

I'm the last guy to know much about the technical elements of pickups, but this particular JB mod worked out great. Whether or not that translates to what you're after, I obviously don't know...

Comment

You'd have to get mushroom poles that fit in a regular bobbin since the ones from the Invader are bigger. It's worth a try tho, I like the JB wind. JB hybrids work well because they mitigate the JB's bad traits while blending it with new traits. I made a Seth/JB that ended up sounding open and vintage and blended well. The Custom 5/JB works well because it tightens up the bass a bit. You could find other pickups to hybrid it with to suit you. You would have to break up 2 JBs anyway to get 2 screw bobbins. (Unless ur getting a shop floor custom double screw.)
                The things that you wanted
                I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                  It will make it sound subtly brighter & tighter, but it will still sound like a JB. In my book, it's not worth the effort. But it's your pup, so try it and see what you think. It certainly can't hurt the sound of a JB.
                  How about adding a ceramic spacer instead. That should achieve the same result with less effort.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

jeremy No I wasn't on planning splitting the coils. The reason was I thinking about switching the north and south coils was because of the hole sizes in each bobbin. I thought I read in a old post here that the big invader button head screws will fit in the slug holes easier. I wanted to put the full shred hex screws on the neck side and the big invader button head screws on the bridge side. Unless I misread something the post said that the big invader screws helped tighten the bottom end a little.

Clint 55 I don't know for sure because I have not personally done this mod yet, but I read in older post that the big invader button head screws will fit the bobbins when you remove the slugs. I want to put the full shred hex screws in place of the slotted screws since they're the same thread size (or at least you can get the same thread size)

I was thinking about doing this and also putting a cover on with the invader screws going through the cover and having holes for the regular hex screws to come through and use a rough cast A5 mag.

Boss GT-10
                    Rocktron Velocity 300

Comment

then just flip the pup around, the coils are the same. no reason to make it more difficult

Comment

Working...
                      X